Sponsored by:

wheel bearing replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:33 PM
moosport
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearing replacement help

I'm working on replacing rear wheel bearing by removing the carrier. I had the swap bar links removed but stucked on how to remove to 2 things

Do i have to remove this nut in order to lower the control arms in order to remove the carrier from the shock?

How about this cable? How do i remove it?

Old 02-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...l_Bearings.htm
https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...bearing-383509
This includes the 997 but hints at what is available in Search

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 02-19-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:23 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are all of your insurance policies up to date ?
Old 02-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

From section 42-10 of the Bentley Boxster manual:

Remove alum. diagnonal braces and chassis reinforcement plate.

Disconnect sway bar link at end of sway bar.

Working at transmission drive flange remove inner CV joint retaining bolts and disconnect inner CV joint from transmission. Not stated by my training is to before doing this mark the two mating parts so you get them back together in the same orientation as before.

Cover and protect the inner CV joint end.

Leave transmission in gear and apply parking brake to make removal of inner CV joint retaining bolts easier.

Disconnect wheel speed/brake wear indicator electrical harness connector. Remove retaining bolt and remove connector from wheel bearing carrier.

Remove retaining bolt and remvoe brake line retaining bracket at wheel bearing carrier. Remove brake caliper retaining bolts from wheel bearing carrier adn suspend brake caliper from chassis using mechanic's wire.

Remove the control arm from the wheel bearing carrier using a special tool -- ball joint press [sic]. When loosening fastening nut counter hold ball joint stud with T-40 Torx screwdriver.

To free ball joint from wheel bearing housing pull down on control arms while swinging wheel bearing carrier outward.

Remove counter sunk screws and brake rotor. Remove parking brake shoes and hardware.

Loosen clamping bolt bolt between wheel bearing carrier and strut assembly. Remove wheel bearing carrier from strut and remove bearing carrier with drive axle.

Remove hex nut from drive axle and remove drive axle from wheel carrier. If necessary use a brass drift or suitable puller to remove axle shaft from wheel bearing carrier.

Press wheel hub from carrier using bolts supplied in press/puller set or suitable press tools. Tighten bolts evenly until hub is free.

Note removing hub from wheel bearing carrier destroys wheel bearing.

Remove retainer plate and brake dust shield from wheel bearing carrier.

Using threaded press tool and appropriate sized press plates press wheel bearing from carrier.

To aid in bearing removal alum. wheel bearing carrier can be heated to 100C. Do not exceed 120C!

Quick Reply: wheel bearing replacement help