Deal, or no deal? This seems like a heck of a bargain to me

Old 02-09-2017, 11:13 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Deal, or no deal? This seems like a heck of a bargain to me

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=157545796

Been on the lot for 4 months. I'm guessing I could go in under $10k, and get somewhere near that. 02 model has the glass window in back? S engine, etc.

Anything else I should look out for besides the regular IMS stuff, engine leaks, and plastic bits in the sump?
Old 02-09-2017, 11:15 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen the same boxsters for sale on craigslist in Chicago for close to a year. They just don't sell...

You could probably get it for much less...
Old 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=157545796

Been on the lot for 4 months. I'm guessing I could go in under $10k, and get somewhere near that. 02 model has the glass window in back? S engine, etc.

Anything else I should look out for besides the regular IMS stuff, engine leaks, and plastic bits in the sump?
2002 does *not* have the glass rear window unless someone changed the top and put on one that has a glass rear window. The factory top has a plastic window.

Plugged the VIN into google and did a search. Got this:

http://local.daaokc.com/consign.html

You'll have to enter the VIN and search for the specific entry for this car. The list is pretty long. Or search for "PORSCH". There are only two cars listed under this section.

No auction price. Not sure what the absence of "Title" after the VIN means.

Also the google search found the car had been listed for sale in Las Vegas with around 37K miles on it. No date given. No price.

The Boxster is just a used car so give it a thorough used car check out. I'm short on time so I can't type in my usual but briefly you want to hear the engine start/idle from cold, then after some idling have the seller take you on a test ride. The route should be around 15 miles long and give the driver a chance to demo the car as you intend to use it. Back at the starting place then switch seats and you drive the car over the same route and drive it the same way.

After this if you still like the check give it a thorough used car check out. Assume nothing works until you verify it does. From wipers to spoiler. From headlights to taillights.

Check radiator ducts for trash build up. Check body water drains for same. Bring a torx tool kit so you can remove the Torx screw that holds the plastic covers on either side of the battery. The rear drains you can view with the top in the service position.

Check for signs of dampness in the car, along the door bottoms, under the seats, etc.

After all of the above if you still like the car have a PPI done. Among other things this gets the car in the air and inspected for any leak sign or other signs of possible problems (accident damage/accident repair, etc.). The water pump, RMS, CV boots, steering rack, all hydraulic lines, fittings, seals, gaskets, o-rings, and plugs. A leak may not be a deal kiler by itself but you want to know what's leaking, if anything, and possibly adjust your offer price.

If the car proves worth owning now's the time to buy a roadster.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
I have seen the same boxsters for sale on craigslist in Chicago for close to a year. They just don't sell...

You could probably get it for much less...
He is probably correct.
We focus on Asking Prices instead of "Actual Sale Price" and "Number of Days to Sell". Who cares how much they ask? It is what it sells for and what defects it has (apparent & hidden !) that count.
Those 2 real-world measures are awful for the Boxster. That is why , the market value of the cars is so far below asking prices. So new sellers price comparably to current asking prices and fail to sell.
There was a superb S for sale by a member on 986 Forum. The owner (Chuck) eventually gave up and is keeping it - best outcome !
For a hint at real world prices look to Auctions or EBay Completed Listings- sold.
Enjoy browsing but note , low miles is not always a good thing for the M96:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks/...&LH_Complete=1
Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to KBB a 2000 boxster with 80k miles, in good condition is worth $5k at trade in, 6k private sale. An "S" is a bit more.

My guess is, its worth less than that. I have heard many dealers wont take a boxster or 996 on trade due to IMS risk...

It has become a "throw away" car. Buy, drive until it breaks, and dump....
Old 02-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
According to KBB a 2000 boxster with 80k miles, in good condition is worth $5k at trade in, 6k private sale. An "S" is a bit more.

My guess is, its worth less than that. I have heard many dealers wont take a boxster or 996 on trade due to IMS risk...

It has become a "throw away" car. Buy, drive until it breaks, and dump....
Few Trade people use KBB except to show punters.
The elephant ....with an M96 car is the PPI. A well optioned S may be just a few miles away from being a roller- even with a PPI . Mine was ! The value drops from $15 to $4(roller) in a flash ! But you got a steal-of-a-deal at $12K .How smart was that ? The low actual sales prices are the gamblers discount? I gambled and lost.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:18 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Sitting on a lot for a long time is a negative. Low miles is a negative. No service history is a negative. Not being an '3-'04 is a negative.

Fatal? Not to me.

So there is some risk. Just maybe any 15 year old car has risks.

Are parts expensive for a Porsche? Yes but then there are lots of wrecks and rollers donating lots of parts. Sure some you'll have to buy new over its lifetime.

It all depends on the cosmetic condition and how good the mechanic is that does the Pre Purchase Inspection. And the price. And the phase of the moon and luck. My two were as near perfect as I could ask.

Would I pay $10k? Maybe if I wasn't looking for an investment but for a fun driver. And this was one that checked all the boxes for me.

There are thousands of these cars for sale today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deal, or no deal? This seems like a heck of a bargain to me