Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone got a boxster with a 911 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:56 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

And in the 911 RSR ,Porsche finally turned the entire assembly the "right" way around !
It took them more than my lifetime to do it but at last there is a car with the 911 badge that is mid-engined. Thank the Americans for that? The old car would have been uncompetitive in the Race World against Ford-so they took a year off from racing to figure out how to turn it around.They could of just borrowed a Boxster ? Street version soon ?
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...gined-911-rsr/
Old 01-23-2017, 12:47 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Do not forgot the GT1, ..this was the first 911, with the engine at the right place.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

The latest Spyder is in my opinion and my taste, the best car that Porsche ever produced.

..It is nothing else than a Boxster (with GREAT 6 piston front brakes) with the last 3.8 of an 911S, ..made by the "factory".
Old 01-23-2017, 12:51 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

We should try posting these comments in the 996 Forum ,not here :-).
Old 01-23-2017, 12:52 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

We should also not forget the Ruf 3800S.
But, I have no idea how many have been produced. I supposed, not that many !
This is also another GREAT example of a Boxster with a *GOOD* 911 engine.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 01-23-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:12 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Regardless of application, they are all the same... Same materials, same problems, except the 996 spec engine have thinner cylinders, and more issues a s general rule. Build the engine thats in the Boxster, and be done with it. My favorite engine of all is the M96.24 3 Chain Boxster S. I build that one clear to 4.4L.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:20 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was looking into this for my 997 is it possible to take a boxter engine build it and drop it into a 997 without much headaches? why? because if ur gonna build it to lets say 4.0l its cheaper to start with a boxter engine which go for almost half the price of some 997 engines if thry are the same block and heads it makes sense! and you can do this and keep ur stock 997 engine on the side for a back up!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:57 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Regardless of application, they are all the same... Same materials, same problems, except the 996 spec engine have thinner cylinders, and more issues a s general rule. Build the engine thats in the Boxster, and be done with it. My favorite engine of all is the M96.24 3 Chain Boxster S. I build that one clear to 4.4L.
Thanks Jake for your comment full of values.

I whish I would have know this, about 4 years ago, when I made my search before buying a Boxster S as track/fun car.
At that time, I selected 2001, by reading that this year would be with the most "flexible" engine, in order to replace it by "something that have more juice".
..And I got a 2001 S. (Thinking of a future engine replacement, i.e.: with a 911 one. To understand years later, that a "good rebuild" would be much more logical than an engine change !)
And:
Since, that I have done some investments, based on a car, that had already PSS9 suspensions. (Was also part of my motivation, as it was something that I wanted to have.) The latest addition that I made is 6 pistons big brakes kit on the front, with the vision that you do not want to "upgrade" the engine, ..before having a base is "good" for that.

Today it is clear to me that that a 3 chains engine, with full variable "Variocam Plus" would have been more desirable, than a 5 chains engine with "Variocam" that act with a single step/switch), (instead continuously !).

..But, in my case, this is a kind of "too late" !
(My question do remain : what should I do to have the most efficient choice to get more juice on my “21” 3.2 S engine (that has already IMS double Row Pro, new water pump, low temp thermostat, under drive pulley, 74mm TBox with IPD and entry pipes, as well as performance air filter, together with sump extension and “X51” metal oil baffle ?)

I can only think as a clever rebuild, using the largest possible “Nickie” (3.8L) for sure with new conrods, and do a “clever” change of all “subject to wear” parts!
(i.e.: the five chains !!!!!) I’m still not set, as per question like “shall I have to have the heads be ported ?” or other one like “new cams” more aggressive ? and etc..
And for sure, a key one : where to go to make these “mods” ?

The biggest question of all today could be : Shall I really do that on a “21” ?? or, shall I sale the car as is, and start it all again with a 2003-2004 ??
And when I’m thinking this way, I can only land in territory like, : “OK, I should better go to a 2011 Spyder”, ..to start on a lightest base !
Well, not a simple “problem” !!! (..just to be clear, I fully agree : a very nice one to have.)

I seriously doubt that it would be efficient to "upgrade" a “21” against a “24” on a 2001 car, as all the electronic would be different. I.e.: the DME difference, then if changing DME, ..than the Bus is different, and changing bus would most probably would be a “major” work, ..then may be followed by the request of changing remote sensors, that are Bus connected ! (i.e.: ABS and etc.. !!), ..Or a lot of costs.
(Investments that would not very clever ones !)

For memory, about Boxster and engine types :
M96.21 - Boxster S 1999-2002 (5 chains, Variocam)
M96.24 - Boxster S 2003-2004 (3 chains, Variocam Plus
Old 01-29-2017, 04:14 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

..may be, ..it would be cheaper to buy an 911RSR !
(big) joke.

Note that in Europe, I have been many times the lucky driver of a Lotus Exige V6 Cup, (in the family) that have been heavily tuned by Komotec (Germany). It is quite lite (around a ton), but on the last dyno, the numbers did showed 458hp !
I can tell you that a light car with that amount of power is ..just a dream car. I have "tested" (but on open roads) a MP4-12C for about one hour, and in term of handling the Exige V6Cup tuned is just an amazing machine, ..for half the price (of a 4C) !

Or, all the motivations to have a Boxster that have more juice.

Quick Reply: Anyone got a boxster with a 911 engine?