Sponsored by:

99 986 engine light.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:53 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 99 986 engine light.

I've had this immaculate car for about 2 months. CA smogged successfully for transfer. Its a DD. Black with red interior.
Engine light was on for two days. Yesterday I jumped on it in a hasty pass and the light went off. It hasn't been on again since. Great remedy I recommend to to everybody. Seriously, anybody know whats up? Stop watch on for an explosion. Ejection seat gonna activate?
What did it likely mean when it was on? What caused it to go off and not reappear?
And, by the way, after 46 Porsches I till can't believe I can have this car for $5950 with all the fun it offers. Best bang for the buck car ever made. OOOPs! Forgot the Speedster and the 914-6.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:11 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Check for a Pending code. Let us know what it is. More Technical (!)details of the car may help.
Yup, the buy-in price is very low for the specifications but................
Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Schnell asks the right questions.

If you are going to try to attempt to make any sense from the CEL you need a code reader with which you can obtain active, pending codes, and freeze frame data. Ideally the code reader should be sufficiently feature rich it also offers you the abilty to view engine/vehicle telemetry in real time. Some OBD2 code readers, my Actron for instance, also support being able to invoke some O2 sensor tests (these are part of the engine's DME).

The car is "new" to you. There is the question of its history -- was it subjected to use in bad weather (which can accelerate the demise of the coils). How old are the plugs?

It doesn't have to be a plugs/coils caused misfire. Often a used car sits a long time until it is sold. The seller doesn't want to add any more miles. As a result the gasoline gets stale. The seller may have even scrimped on gasoline and filled the tank with something other than the premium grade of gasoline.

I've only bought one used Porsche. I was aware of the car's history and servicing. All servicing was pretty much up to date.

But as part of my post purchase I ran a bottle of Techron through the engine, used Techron according to instructions then changed the oil/filter. This to remove any fuel system/engine deposits the car might have accumulated before.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

And if you are serious about keeping+tinkering with Boxsters and similar, a Durametric cable is a wise investment.You may be able to buy a used one on the Forums.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:46 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Macster, We should have lunch some day.

Quick Reply: 99 986 engine light.