Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation at 4500 RPM and over

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Unless there is an obvious, repairable wiring fault, just replace the CPS. They do age out and tanker is correct ,the common mode of failure is when hot.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Jojo Bonett
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there anyway of obtaining ohm-meter readings of the actual sensor, in case it has any obvious wrong readings? will also need the sensor's socket pin numbers too.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 11:31 AM
sniperonhigh
Intermediate

I have changed lots of CPS and CMS sensors (some due to recall campaigns) and they all act pretty much the same. Fine when cold, crazy when they warm up. Kinda like a girl you've been dating for a while...... Anyway, I would just replace it and call it PM, log when you replace it and go from there.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Jojo Bonett
8th Gear

thanks. Waiting for a new CPS and will let you know of the outcome, hopefully a positive one!!

Cheers

Jojo
Old 01-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Jojo Bonett
8th Gear

Ok, so I took off the old senor and noticed a small amount of iron fillings on the head of the sensor, so maybe this was part of the reason for the errors and also the fact that it wasn't revving more than 4.5K rpm. But once I took it out and had a new one, I decided to replace it anyway and now the engine is revving normally and no hesitation at all even while idling.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jojo Bonett
Ok, so I took off the old senor and noticed a small amount of iron fillings on the head of the sensor, so maybe this was part of the reason for the errors and also the fact that it wasn't revving more than 4.5K rpm. But once I took it out and had a new one, I decided to replace it anyway and now the engine is revving normally and no hesitation at all even while idling.
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted.

The presence of iron/ferrous filings on the sensor suggest it was perhaps contacting the toothed ring that is part of the flywheel. Could have the old sensor been loose or disturbed?
Old 01-25-2017, 05:15 AM
Jojo Bonett
8th Gear

Hi,

when I clean the filings, the sensor was intact and did not show any form of friction on it. I could have tried the old sensor after cleaning, but to be honest did not bother and just replaced it. Of course if I've seen any direct friction on the sensor's head, I would have thought differently, but luckily this wasn't the case and seems to have been sorted. But I would have never thought that a hall IC goes bonkers when warmed up, at least in my photocopier servicing life, I've never seen this before, but as they say, there's always a first time!!

Cheers.

Jojo
Old 01-25-2017, 09:47 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a small amount of metal dust is normal on a cps that goes in to the bellhousing area...........bendix drive,ring gear,clutch etc all shed .the sensor is a magnet but it would really have to be loaded to degrade the signal and you are right that one would notice if there was a clearance issue the sensor would be short lived .

Quick Reply: Hesitation at 4500 RPM and over