Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! Need a new master cylinder?

Old 12-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Sportfanatic
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! Need a new master cylinder?

I would appreciate any advice given on my topic. I noticed a couple weeks ago that when switching gears it was rough getting them into the gear. A week ago there was a smell from my vehicle that smelled like paint thinner and I don't know if it was coincidence thinking back now because I was transporting an old paint thinner can and I wasn't sure if it leaked out or now maybe it was related to this? I couldn't tell because it didn't feel like any spilt out but it was overnight so it could have dried quickly. Story of my life with coincidences. Anyway, after that a couple days later I was driving in town and I thought maybe if I pressed further with my clutch because it was a little soft that it would make shifting easier and when I did that for about the 5 time the clutch pedal stuck to the floor and wouldn't come back up and luckily I made the three lights and made it in my home before it stalled out. I checked the level of brake fluid and it was at the minimum mark or just below so I bought some fluid and filled it to max line. I fooled with the clutch pedal and it still went to floor after picking up and resetting. The next day I went out and checked the fluid again and it looks totally empty. I checked under vehicle on garage floor and underneath clutch pedal and there is no sign of fluid leaking. I have scoured videos and the Internet to give me a better idea of what it could be. Hydraulic issue? Clutch wasn't slipping prior to this. Thanks for the help. Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The clutch-to-the-floor is what happens when there is air in the hydraulic system or th fluid leaks substantially. Driving the car in that condition is a hazard to others on the road. Grossly irresponsible.
The cause may be as simple as a leaking clutch slave cylinder. Or a caliper. Chair-bound mechanics is a waste of time. Get it up on a lift/ramps/tall jack stands and start inspecting. Clutch slave first because it is easy - if you know what you are doing/looking for.
Suggest you ask here for an Indie recommendation in your area.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:48 PM
Sportfanatic
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch-to-the-floor is what happens when there is air in the hydraulic system or th fluid leaks substantially. Driving the car in that condition is a hazard to others on the road. Grossly irresponsible.
The cause may be as simple as a leaking clutch slave cylinder. Or a caliper. Chair-bound mechanics is a waste of time. Get it up on a lift/ramps/tall jack stands and start inspecting. Clutch slave first because it is easy - if you know what you are doing/looking for.
Suggest you ask here for an Indie recommendation in your area.
-----------
Thanks for your reply. As I was going 20 miles per hour and no one was behind me was behind me the entire way. I am not reckless in the least.
Ill take a look at the clutch slave first. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please help! Need a new master cylinder?