Sponsored by:

Startup on Incline

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:36 PM
kderry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
As I read your post I vaguely recall a similar situation came up just recently and it turned out to be one of the valves associated with the fuel tank vent system.

Let me see if I can find that...

To the OP: I think this the thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...l#post13814781

However in quickly scanning through the posts it is not quite the same. The engine did't want to start after a fuel tank fill up and there was a CEL with a number of error codes.

However with nothing other than no start on an incline and no CEL and error codes I am not ready to dismiss a fuel supply/pressure problem.
Yeah, the parking on an incline is the clue. Fill issues are usually purge valve related, but this one seems more like fuel getting into the canister when parked on an incline, probably causing a rich condition and throwing off the emission control.

I don't see how parking on an incline could affect fuel pressure or supply unless the tank was near empty every time it happened. This is classic EVAP stuff, as any decent mechanic would know.

It is your EVAP system. Taking bets...?

Last edited by kderry; 12-18-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:49 AM
The Bartender
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't EVAP issue set off a check engine light?

Car is at mechanic. Starts fine for him every single time he's tested it. Even from the exact same parking spot where I left it for him where I couldn't start it. Clearly some gremlins are involved.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:14 AM
kderry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Bartender
Wouldn't EVAP issue set off a check engine light?
Not always. Not even usually. Tell your mechanic to check all of the valves on the EVAP system and to check the charcoal canister for liquid fuel contamination.
What was the weather like on the days that it happened?
Old 12-22-2016, 01:38 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

Just warm weather. Around 20 degrees celcius every day.

I'm not an expert but spoke with him today and he said he tested pressure on the car over night to see if it lost pressure at any point and nada. Continues to fire up no problem. He says it's hard to find until the problem becomes more consistent. Fuel pump is delivering fuel for him every time.

Last edited by The Bartender; 12-22-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

See #18
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

Just to follow up here, in case this thread is of use to someone in the future:

My issue was the fuel pump relay. I probably "conflated" - popular term these days - the incline/decline issue. I eventually noticed that I wasn't hearing the mild buzzing sound of the fuel pump before turning the key fully, so I figured it was fuel pump related. When the mechanic examined it, we realized it was the relay and the fuel pump was fine.

I also replaced the crank position sensor since we were already in there and in the back of my mind, I thought that could be a factor. Cost to do that was minor since labor was already a cost to go in there. Anyway, thanks for the help and hopefully this helps someone in the future.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bartender
Just to follow up here, in case this thread is of use to someone in the future:

My issue was the fuel pump relay. I probably "conflated" - popular term these days - the incline/decline issue. I eventually noticed that I wasn't hearing the mild buzzing sound of the fuel pump before turning the key fully, so I figured it was fuel pump related. When the mechanic examined it, we realized it was the relay and the fuel pump was fine.

I also replaced the crank position sensor since we were already in there and in the back of my mind, I thought that could be a factor. Cost to do that was minor since labor was already a cost to go in there. Anyway, thanks for the help and hopefully this helps someone in the future.
Thanks for the update. Glad to read you got it sorted.

The relay is a small seemingly rather inconsequential piece of the puzzle but I remember when a lack of fuel was suspected of being responsible for no engine start with my Boxster one of the first things to check was the fuel pump relay.

In fact Porsche offers through the parts department bypass relays for at least the fuel pump. I even ordered one to use to test my car's relay but when it came in someone else needed it and the parts manager asked if he could instead sell it to the other guy, a pro auto tech I believe. I said "sure" and a senior tech at the parts counter who overheard this offered to loan me his bypass relay.

I tried the tech's bypass relay and still the engine failed to fire. But the point is relay got checked early on. It is sometimes overlooked but not inconsequential.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:27 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Kudos to the OP Bartender for closing the loop.Thankyou !
Sad when people find the solution but don't bother.Yet they keep us going for pages begging for advice.
Now this Bypass Relay for the Fuel Pump Wouldn't a simple jumper wire work as well? I used one to drain/change fuel and it worked fine.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Fuel_Pump.htm

Quick Reply: Startup on Incline