Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Immobiliser interchangeable between years?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 PM
diff operator
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobiliser interchangeable between years?

Hello all, I have bought, fixed, sold, and parted out many 986 boxsters most of which have out of coincidence (6) have been 2000 model year. I currently have a 2002 with a bad corroded Immobiliser. It looks like my 2000 year M535 immobiliser but does have a different part number. Also there is an extra round plug for a separate wire that is not present on the year 2000.

Extra immobiliser plug
Does anyone know what this is? Can this immobiliser br replaced with a year 2000 clu/immobiliser dme transducer combination or is it necessary to find a 2002?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Different part number suggests a difference and at that level any difference probably renders the two sets of items non-interchangeable.

About all I can offer is visit a cooperative Porsche dealer parts counter and have the parts department manager look up the part numbers for the devices of interest in both MY cars and if the part numbers come up the same then the parts are probably interchangeable. If the part numbers are different... 'course you already know this is the case.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:59 PM
diff operator
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Macster, I appreciate the input. I know that that specific CLU needs to go with that specific transducer, DME, and key pill. I'm just wondering if since the main chassis harness, front an rear trunk wiring is all the same for the 986, if I can just swap out the set and have the wiring communicate.
I just dont know what the heck that one extra plug goes to...
Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by diff operator
Thanks Macster, I appreciate the input. I know that that specific CLU needs to go with that specific transducer, DME, and key pill. I'm just wondering if since the main chassis harness, front an rear trunk wiring is all the same for the 986, if I can just swap out the set and have the wiring communicate.
I just dont know what the heck that one extra plug goes to...
My thinking is if the part numbers for the devices in question are the same for both MY's they should be (should be) interchangeable.

That there is an extra plug strongly suggests they are no interchangeable as apparently the connector/wiring harnesses are different.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

The PET seems to imply differences at least at the part number level.

Quick Reply: Immobiliser interchangeable between years?