2001 Boxster...need help or advice on price and car overall

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 08:46 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 2001 Boxster...need help or advice on price and car overall

Hello Everyone,

I will be going to test drive a 2001 Porsche Boxster this Saturday with the hopes of being a Porsche owner for the first time (YAY!!!!). The car itself, from the pictures looks great. It currently has 60,112 miles on it and they are asking $10,995. It is being sold from a small indy dealership, so I am not sure how many people have owned this car before they got it. I have asked the dealership if they have any service records for which they replied they do not, but were willing to contact the Porsche dealership that serviced the car to see what they can provide for me. I have also contacted a local indy dealer to see if they could do a PPI for me if I like the car enough to move forward.

Is it OK to not go to a Porsche dealership to have a PPI done? I like the place I contacted as they sell a fair amount of Porsche and other German cars (that is all they sell actually) and were willing to do this for $95 which I thought was fair. Are there anythings I should be concerned about regarding this car? I know about the IMS issue and that is my biggest concern. If it has not been done or if the service records do not mention anything about the IMS, I will use that to hopefully lower the price of the car.

When you have a chance, could you please post your comments/thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have attached some pics of the car. Please let me know what you all think.

Thank You,

Puneet
Attached Images           
Old 11-17-2016, 09:03 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My best advice it to find an indie shop close to where you live that you would use to service the car if you end up buying it.

For $95 I doubt you would get a comprehensive PPI. They normally cost $300-$400 and should include a thorough examination of the engine, transmission and suspension. If possible it should also check alignment to ensure that the chassis is straight.

Good luck and remember that there are plenty of used Boxters around, so be prepared to walk if anything doesn't feel or sound right.

Anker
The following users liked this post:
Shawn Stanford (03-15-2021)
Old 11-17-2016, 09:09 PM
der Geist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks pretty clean and well maintained. Statistically tiptronics have a lower rate of IMS failure but I am not sure how much lower. If it hasn't been done you are going to need a tranny flush and filter. Pretty easy DIY but messy. If the car has not had the IMS and tranny serviced I would be offering 9K and settling somewhere in between.

Nothing wrong with an indy doing a PPI as long as they know the cars well. Hopefully you have a personal referal for the company doing the PPI.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi der Geist, thanks for the input, yeah I think the car looks very clean. I asked someone from the shop if they have done IMS replacements for triptronics before and was informed that they have a fews times actually. This place was not referred to me, but is just close to my house and seeing as they always have a few Porsche's on the lot, I assumed that they would be familiar with the car. I am sure I will get a lot of heat for that. I am actually going to contact the local Porsche Club of America to see if they could recommend someone to do the PPI as I do not want to mess this up LOL.

When I spoke to the person at the Indy by my house, he stated that if the IMS needed to be done, it would run me about $3,500 since the whole engine would have to come out since it is a triptronic. Does that sound right?
Old 11-18-2016, 12:35 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

In my experience, forget about "clean" unless you want to risk buying a money pit.Yes , clean is on the list but the cosmetics are easy to resolve and usually cause a big discount.
The top priority if you really(??why??) want a Boxster is to ask here who the competent, honest Boxster/996 Indies are in your area. Visit them all and tell those you like what you are looking for.They may know of a customers car for sale.
Even if you think you know cars (I do) and think you have learned enough about Boxsters to buy one (I did) , trust me, you need some help (I did) but you may not know it (My big error !!).The M96 will teach you humility in a hurry. I got a big dose !
Short lesson on PPI. Unless it includes the cost of removing the oil filter,examining it and replacing the old filter with a new one, the PPI is useless. Search for why.You'll thank me.
Small fact - there are 28 "Modes of Failure" for the M96 and we aren't done counting yet !The IMS is just one. Miss one of the other 27 in the PPI an the rebuild will cost as much as your purchase price.
So ask others here for specific advice.If you follow it you'll get a great car.Leave the lemons for fools like me.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:02 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I will be going to test drive a 2001 Porsche Boxster this Saturday with the hopes of being a Porsche owner for the first time (YAY!!!!). The car itself, from the pictures looks great. It currently has 60,112 miles on it and they are asking $10,995. It is being sold from a small indy dealership, so I am not sure how many people have owned this car before they got it. I have asked the dealership if they have any service records for which they replied they do not, but were willing to contact the Porsche dealership that serviced the car to see what they can provide for me. I have also contacted a local indy dealer to see if they could do a PPI for me if I like the car enough to move forward.

Is it OK to not go to a Porsche dealership to have a PPI done? I like the place I contacted as they sell a fair amount of Porsche and other German cars (that is all they sell actually) and were willing to do this for $95 which I thought was fair. Are there anythings I should be concerned about regarding this car? I know about the IMS issue and that is my biggest concern. If it has not been done or if the service records do not mention anything about the IMS, I will use that to hopefully lower the price of the car.

When you have a chance, could you please post your comments/thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you are lucky and the car was serviced exclusively at one dealer then that dealer will have service records, but they may not go back all that far. My local dealer keeps parts department invoices for just 2 years and service records for 4 is what I was told. (The records are not destroyed but are moved off site and stored and are not very accessible at all for answering what was serviced when.)

You can learn a lot about the car by treating it to a thorough used car check out.

Briefly, visit the car cold. Turn off the A/C. You test this later. Turn on the key and verify the CEL and this goes for all warning lights, comes on then goes out when the engine starts/runs.

Let the engine idle while you walk around the car looking at body panel fit and finish, the top (lack of smoothness of the canvas over the top suggest the top is going bad), and rear window, tires, wheel condition (scuffed wheels suggest an alignment will be needed), brakes (a 1mm lip on the rotor edge is a sign a new rotor (and probably pads) will be needed). Radiator ducts full of trash will require the bumper cover be removed and the trash cleaned out. This suggests the body water drains are probably full of trash too and these need to be cleaned out ASAP or rain/wash water can accumulate and flow into the cabin with disasterous results.

But keep an ear tuned to the engine. You don't want to hear any scary noises, ticking, knocks, rumbles, chirps, squeaks, etc.

After a few minutes of idling -- the longer the better though -- have the seller take you on a 15 mile test ride. The route wants to get the driver a chance to demo the car like you intend to use it.

Since the car is a Tip early on have the driver perform a K-turn. You want to experience the Tip being shifted from Drive to Reverse to Drive several times in fairly rapid succession and see how the Tip reacts.

Back at the starting point then you switch seats and drive the car. Drive the same route and drive the car the same way.

Amoung other things do the K-turn again this time with the Tip hot.

You must experience the car in its natural state, engine running and the car on the road being used.

After the test ride and drive -- if all went well -- back at the starting point give the car a thorough used car check out. Check every system to ensure it works.

IF after all of the above you still like the car arrange for a PPI. Ideally you want someone who knows these cars inside and out. Porsche techs check out cars all the time, trade ins and cars bought at auction to supplement the dealer's used car stock, so there's that. But a good indy shop can be used too if you know of one.

Among other things the PPI gets the car in the air and then a close check is made for any leak sign. Part of the reason for the 15 mile test ride then 15 mile test drive is to run the engine for about an hour. This gives any leak a chance to show itself.

It would be nice if possible the oil filter housing was removed and the filter housing oil and filter element checked for scary bits. But if the engine remained quiet and symptom free during the test ride and drive the odds are the filter oil and element will be ok. Serious engine problems that dump bits of metal in the oil filter housing and element generally don't take long to reach a point it is obvious there is a problem.

For price I always advise one run the car's numbers through the NADA and KBB web sites. The seller probably has no more than trade in in the car so that sets the base price. How much above this you pay depends upon how dear the seller values the car and how bad you want the car.

I like to finish the above with these comments: Price is not fact only an opinion. And if you find a deal killer problem with car walk away. There is always another car.

Best of luck.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:00 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

About the PPI, ask to see a sample of a PPI that the shop has done. Do they use a standard form that requires them to move step by step or is it a ad hoc process? My PPI was a 3 page printout, included a leakdown test, contained many measurements, and was gone over with both the seller and the buyer while the car was on the rack so that items could be pointed out. The PPI also included a road test by someone who raced p-cars and built race cars. Does the PPI include a paint depth measurement? In other words, know what you are paying for because there is an enormous difference between someone who really knows the water cooled Porsches and some foreign car mechanic who works on lots of cars. I've seen PPIs for $99 and mine for $300+. I'm glad I paid for the one done by someone who really knew his stuff.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:59 AM
smokindav
Instructor

For that price you can get an 'S'.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:45 PM
der Geist
Instructor

Originally Posted by pkalhan
When I spoke to the person at the Indy by my house, he stated that if the IMS needed to be done, it would run me about $3,500 since the whole engine would have to come out since it is a triptronic. Does that sound right?
I think $3500.00 is steep for an indy. My local Porsche dealer quoted me $3,500 and that was with the FVD ceramic bearing.

One other comment of caution. If that car is on an indy dealer's lot it probably came from an auction or a dealer trade in. Either way, don't skimp on the PPI if you are not very experienced with the car.

I would try and knock down the price a little as well. 11K for a 60k mile base Boxster is not the greatest deal in the world. It's Ok but moving into winter convertibles are a tough sale. I was thinking of listing my '03 with 46K miles for 13K in the spring. I wouldn't mind selling it sooner if this one doesn't work out for you.

Boxster are ton's of fun, buy one and have fun with it.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't believe its necessary to remove the engine when doing an IMS upgrade on a Tiptronic. I checked "101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxter" and it didn't mention this.

Anker
Old 11-19-2016, 06:40 PM
der Geist
Instructor

I think it is very difficult to split the engine and the trans on the tip models while it is still in the car. It is a much different process than a manual from what I have heard. I looked at the 101 projects as well and I believe that set of instructions is for the manual only. I've never done it so I could be wrong. I do remember reading some threads somewhere where the people who did it said it was better to pull both at the same time.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:27 PM
Boxstervergnügen
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome aboard,
You sound like you’re going in the right direction. No need to hurry and a good PPI is the only way to go. The local PCA club is a good place to find about a good indie shop in the area. Quality Cars should also be able to get you a car fax-it’s not a crystal ball and do not always have all the data but just another piece of the puzzle. I have given you a link to finding indie shops. The best advice I ever got was from a guy at work who 35-40 years older than me when I was buy my first house. “There is no deal you can’t walk away from”

It’s amazing how much we learn about Boxster’s really fast after we get the pink slip. The folks at Flat6 and L&N Engineering are really nice and will answer if you call. They also have a list of certified/trained shops around the US on their web site who you could also call.
Welcome to the Boxster experience.

http://www.pcarshops.com/near/pittsburgh-pa
Old 11-20-2016, 07:59 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Doing the IMS on a TIP is generally several labor hours more expensive.

Also, the car is quite near the 60k mile service interval. Factor in the cost of that if there is no proof that it has been done.

Beautiful car and color combination.

When I bought my '01S TIP, I paid ~$1k+ for the 60k, ~$1k for tires, ~$1k for a complete brake job. And I had an alignment done. After that it was smooth sailing, very cheap to maintain and very reliable for 5 years and ~20k miles.. Maybe I was lucky.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Disaster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by der Geist
Car looks pretty clean and well maintained. Statistically tiptronics have a lower rate of IMS failure but I am not sure how much lower. If it hasn't been done you are going to need a tranny flush and filter. Pretty easy DIY but messy. If the car has not had the IMS and tranny serviced I would be offering 9K and settling somewhere in between.

Nothing wrong with an indy doing a PPI as long as they know the cars well. Hopefully you have a personal referal for the company doing the PPI.
9K would be low...at least in my area. California is much richer with used Boxsters and therefore prices are a bit lower than here in Michigan.

In my experience the condition of the body and interior is important from the standpoint that if someone doesn't take care of the visible part of a car it isn't a good indicator that they are taking care of the invisible stuff...like oil changes. Plus, that stuff can add up if you want to fix it up and clean it up. Finally, it is nice to drive a nice, clean car.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:38 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Disaster

In my experience the condition of the body and interior is important from the standpoint that if someone doesn't take care of the visible part of a car it isn't a good indicator that they are taking care of the invisible stuff...like oil changes. Plus, that stuff can add up if you want to fix it up and clean it up. Finally, it is nice to drive a nice, clean car.
I totally agree with Disaster, if a car looks neglected it generally has been neglected. Mechanicals are very important to keeping the car running well but appearance is very important to the overall enjoyment of the vehicle! Fixing appearance items can run you a lot of money as well!
I too may have been lucky but my 16 year old Boxster has been relatively trouble free (knock on wood). It had 2 owners in 4 years prior to me with only a few maintenance records available to see but it was clean and looked well cared for.
As others have said there are a lot of Boxsters out there so don't settle for something if it doesn't feel right, walk away because there is allows another one to look at.
Good luck with the purchase or your search, they're fun cars!

Quick Reply: 2001 Boxster...need help or advice on price and car overall