Sponsored by:

02 S ticking at idle when warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 01:54 PM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 S ticking at idle when warm

So looked through the threads, prior to posting, and didn't see my problem. So when the engine is cold, I don't hear any ticking. Once the engine warms up I get a ticking sound. Now that sound is only at idle. As soon as I give it any gas, it stops. The clutch plays no affect on the noise, in neutral. Any guesses?

Thanks
Thom
Old 10-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by no1tmorrow
So looked through the threads, prior to posting, and didn't see my problem. So when the engine is cold, I don't hear any ticking. Once the engine warms up I get a ticking sound. Now that sound is only at idle. As soon as I give it any gas, it stops. The clutch plays no affect on the noise, in neutral. Any guesses?

Thanks
Thom
While one's imagination leaps to a bad valve lifter, bore scoring, pending IMSB failure, the noise can be a loose plug, a sticking injector, an exhaust leak, maybe something with the accessory drive system: Belt or an idler/tensioner roller bearing; possibly even a water pump.

Best to get the car in the air and as best you -- with the assistance of an experienced Porsche tech -- can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Once you have a good idea that helps you make the correct diagnosis.

On the surface the noise behavior suggests -- just suggests -- a noisy lifter.

How's the oil level? How many miles on the oil? What oil is in the engine?

If you -- and maybe with the help of an experienced tech -- locate the source of the noise under a camshaft cover then a noisy lifter becomes more likely. Not the end of the world. These can be replaced. Getting ahead of the situation a bit but if say an intake lifter is found to be noisy all the intake lifters of that bank a replaced. This is SOP at least with Porsche.

The cause is often blamed on "dirt" and the concern is as soon as just one noisy lifter is replaced then another one will become noisy -- or is already noisy just not quite as bad at the one you are focused on -- and one will have to go right back in and replace the 2nd noisy lifter, and on. Best to get them all replaced at once. But if a noisy lifter proves to be the correct diagnosis your trusted Porsche tech will advise you.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:04 AM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

Wow... that is a ton of info... THANKS!!!

Just bought the car. Put maybe 400 miles on it. 380 of it driving it home.

Just had the oil changed with 0w-40 Mobil 1. The filter was cut apart and no metal shavings was found it in. (Not that it means the car is perfect because of that)

The car only has 73k on it, if that helps.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by no1tmorrow
Wow... that is a ton of info... THANKS!!!

Just bought the car. Put maybe 400 miles on it. 380 of it driving it home.

Just had the oil changed with 0w-40 Mobil 1. The filter was cut apart and no metal shavings was found it in. (Not that it means the car is perfect because of that)

The car only has 73k on it, if that helps.
My concern was the oil was real old, or the wrong viscosity, or even the level was low. None of these though appear to be the case.

About all I can offer from a distance is you need to pinpoint the source of the ticking. From this you and your tech will have a better idea of what is going on and what you are facing in addressing the source of the noise.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:39 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd definitely attempt to pin point an area that you believe it's coming from. Should be "easier" in that it happens only at idle so you can pop the hood and listen around once the vehicle is up to operating temp. Hopefully you can figure out where and what the cause is.

Just some additional reading material if needed. I'd check out figure 13 here about noisy lifters: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Tensioner.htm. Not saying it's your issue, but gives you an idea of a possible cause.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Until you use a practiced ear with an "Electronic Engine Ear" it is all just chatter.
It is a potentially serious , deteriorating condition so a diagnosis from an experienced ,competent M96 tech is a wise investment. The is much to read on this ticking subject in Search but without location and w/o isolating the plugs/injectors one by one in the suspect area it is just ch......
Old 10-30-2016, 11:01 PM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I drove it around this weekend. Adding to my curiousness. The ticking is intermittent. Some of the times it was ticking and others it wasn't. I couldn't find a pattern.

I will be taking it to a shop in the next couple weeks. My second gear is shot and want the car gone through prior to me investing in a Transmission.

Thanks again.
Thom

Quick Reply: 02 S ticking at idle when warm