Sponsored by:

Drop the whole Thing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 AM
BOOTLEG
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop the whole Thing?

I am preparing to swap in my EBAY 3.2L in my '01 S after doing the IMS and other key mods so currently researching the best way to take out the old and put in the new. I recall a prior discussion about pulling the entire drive train including suspension etc. but can't find it. Anybody know where it's hiding?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe in the 996 section ?
It is an interesting alternative if you do not have a full height lift to follow the conventional procedure . So for DIYers, the idea of lifting the body on/off the entire assembly is possibly safer/easier because the engine+trans+suspension stays on the ground. I confess that even though I have a 2 post lift, raising the M96 6 feet in the air on a big transmission jack requires a lot of faith in hydraulic seals ! And in Los Angeles there is always the earthquake issue to 'interrupt' a risky operation like that. It is for this reason I have a monstrous old Wudel jack with a wooden cradle for the M96.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Pelican Parts web site has a section on engine R&R. I have not gone through the articles but the couple of times I have come upon a Boxster (and other models) in for an engine R&R -- to either repair the engine or replace it -- the suspension remains in the car.

The engine comes out and in some cases the transmission along with it.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:33 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Bootleg,
There is a very detailed video of your proposed system on Youtube by Roaring Tigers Garage. They use a 2001 Boxster S as the demonstration car.
It looks much safer for diy but you still have to be very careful and raise the car way up to clear the engine+trans. Without a lift it still would be risky.
Here is the final of the 3 videos:
I hope this helps you and keeps you safe.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 10-27-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:41 AM
IN RANGE inc.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, that video series is a great start. I know people that have done it with floor jacks but they said it was WAY!!!!!!!!!! harder.......
Old 11-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

This issue of engine removal methods and procedures gets much less attention than it deserves imho. You only realize this when you actually try to do it yourself . Most descriptions will explain the sequence of disconnecting things but that is the easy part.
The difficulties are generally access, potential breakage of parts during the drop and safely handling the weight. If you totally dismantle the engine the paramount need is to label everything and draw diagrams of the exact routing of wiring looms. Use permanent marker on waterproof tape.For those who think this is silly ,my challenge is - link for us a detailed diagram of the wiring harness layout . Get it wrong & ...... And then there are those connections that are best made/can only be made, in the partially in/out stage.
My particular ire is focused on those who dismiss this as a straightforward task. You will note the brevity and flippancy of their descriptions. In fact there are hours of tedium marking which bolt lengths go where, chasing and cleaning threads and reading the many scattered useful references.
For example, see Post 7 in this link and the lack of any specific responses:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...e-removal.html
Having done this task ,I can't understand why Wayne has not produced a book on M96 engine R&R with rebuild info. Jake has abandoned publishing "The M96 A Definitive Guide" so the market is wide open for Wayne.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 11-26-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:25 AM
zoomster1776
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"paramount need is to label everything and draw diagrams of the exact routing of wiring looms. Use permanent marker on waterproof tape.For those who think this is silly " Silly? absolutely not! also take hundreds of pic as you progress. Take the time and you will be rewarded at re-assembly.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:07 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

disconnect hoses at the disconnects at base of firewall, disconnect the engine harness in rear trunk and slide through the firewall and remove with engine/trans
Old 11-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993GT
disconnect hoses at the disconnects at base of firewall, disconnect the engine harness in rear trunk and slide through the firewall and remove with engine/trans
This Thread relates to the Boxster,not the 996.
The Boxster requires disconnection of the hoses to the coolant and oil refill receptacles in the trunk. Good luck doing that with the trans in place. And don't say use a Mayhew. That only works if the ears on the clips are conveniently oriented.Broken oil fill tube/dipstick tube?
At the fire wall there are some semi-ridgid plastic lines that are hooked over the e-brake cable.You can't disconnect .drop and pull. You do it in stages.Drop a little ,check.drop.disconnect,drop,check.....
And whatever you do ,you still need to partially remove the bank 2 inlet part way down and semi-remove the a.c compressor.
I have just done all this so it is fresh in my mind. I am fortunate to have a 2 post lift ,all the tools,equipment,time,skills(?) and budget.But I lack knowledge - just like everyone else who does this the first 20 times !
My cautions are not to deter enthusiasts but rather to warn novices to research carefully. And that is the problem. There is no single place that lists all the procedures,tools, equipment and gotchas.
Some smart person who runs a Porsche Parts business could write/post/publish a diy and drive lots of business his way ! Wayne may be too busy but surely he has an associate who could do this ? And the more mistakes and bust knuckles in the video ,the better to help us :-).
Old 11-26-2016, 02:12 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

I have also done this recently, I own 2 Boxsters...one is alive now, one is parted...why drop the engine with the trans still in? the engine/trans assembly is in/out super quick on a 986/996
Why remove the A/C compressor, disconnect AC lines at base of engine/firewall
What on bank 2 (inlet ???)needs disconnected?

Last edited by 993GT; 11-26-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

If you leave the a/c connected,you don't have to first take it to an a/c place to recover the Freon.You also don't have to re-charge it.
If you just disconnect the a/c lines ,the Freon escapes to atmosphere.
But you need to fiddle with the inlet manifold both in/out to do this.That allows the 'headroom' required to unbolt the a/c compressor,extract it with lines connected and tie it up ,out of the way.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:09 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Completely valid point, and one where person doing the job has a choice...and one of the areas a 911 engine drop is easier IMO -keeping A/C comp. 'attached' to body with minimal work
Old 11-26-2016, 05:46 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

In California, there is limited choice. Evacuating Freon to the atmosphere is illegal. EPA regulation.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:28 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not sure why one would want to drop the "entire drivetrain" when removing a Boxster engine. The A/C compressor can be easily removed and stay with the car prior to removing the motor if you don't want to release the refrigerant into the atmosphere.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:34 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

^because it's easier to drop the trans with the engine...?
have the refrigerant evacuated if it's a concern

Quick Reply: Drop the whole Thing?