Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986. Wheel sz limit and elec seat adj.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 12:24 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 986. Wheel sz limit and elec seat adj.

Just acquired a 986 for a fun companion. Have had them before but forget what my limit was for wheel/tire size was. I think I have pushed this far before but kept no record. Can you help? I want to put a BBS 993 7.5 x 18 ET 50 on the front with a 225/40 and a 10 x 18 ET 65 on the rear with a 285/35. Can I do it? Do I need a spacer anyplace?
Part 2. none of my previous had auto seats. Mine were all manual. In this car the adjust levers work on the pass side but not on driver. What are the first troubleshoots I should do? Just got home with it but need to be in inch closer and a bit less upright. Help!
BTW, I couldn't resist. The perfect black paint with flawless red interior and $5950 price tag got me. There must be a snake in the trunk.
Thanx in advance.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Anker Berg-Sonne
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or an IMS bearing in the engine. :-(

Do you know if it had a retrofit or a recent replacement? If not, have it done, a $5950 roller is too expensive.

Anker
Old 10-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT951
Just acquired a 986 for a fun companion. Have had them before but forget what my limit was for wheel/tire size was. I think I have pushed this far before but kept no record. Can you help? I want to put a BBS 993 7.5 x 18 ET 50 on the front with a 225/40 and a 10 x 18 ET 65 on the rear with a 285/35. Can I do it? Do I need a spacer anyplace?
Part 2. none of my previous had auto seats. Mine were all manual. In this car the adjust levers work on the pass side but not on driver. What are the first troubleshoots I should do? Just got home with it but need to be in inch closer and a bit less upright. Help!
BTW, I couldn't resist. The perfect black paint with flawless red interior and $5950 price tag got me. There must be a snake in the trunk.
Thanx in advance.
For wheel/tire combo's I can't offer much in the way of help. I generally refer questions like this to the factory's documented sanctioned wheel/tire sets. These will fit and I think without the need of any spacers. Spacers can bring with them wheel/tire mounting/balance problems. One has to be very careful to get a quality set of spacers if he goes that way.

TireRack might offer other wheel/tire sizes that while not factory sanctioned also work.

For the non-operating seat controls my first step would be to check the fuse or fuses associated with the seat controls.

You don't provide a model type (base or S) or MY but for the 2001 MY fuse E3 is for the left hand seat.

If there is a suspected mechanical (or electrical) problem and the seat has to come out to deal with this the Porsche techs tell me they unbolt the seat motor and use a power socket wrench with a proper sized socket to turn the shaft that moves the the seat to position the seat so they can then get at the seat mount hardware to remove the seat.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:33 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT951
I want to put a BBS 993 7.5 x 18 ET 50 on the front with a 225/40 and a 10 x 18 ET 65 on the rear with a 285/35. Can I do it? Do I need a spacer anyplace?
The fronts will be just fine as that is the correct width and offset for an OE wheel and tire.
The rear calls for an offset of 47 with a 10" wheel so you'll need 18mm spacers or else your wheel will sit over 3/4" too far in.
As for tire, I've never seen it but can't see why a 285 wouldn't fit, I'm tempted to do that myself. However usually the size to go to would be a 285/30 not a 285/35. The 285/35 makes for a taller tire and could bring you that much closer to rubbing somewhere on the fender.

Quick Reply: 986. Wheel sz limit and elec seat adj.