Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braindead Instrument Cluster (Speedo/Tach/LCD)

Old 08-23-2016, 01:09 AM
Huntern321
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braindead Instrument Cluster (Speedo/Tach/LCD)

Hello, everyone.

I've encountered quite the peculiar issue with my 98' Boxster. My speedometer, Tachometer, and all of the lower info LCDs are not functioning. They can be manually triggered with Durametrics but do not function with the car. The speedo and tach stay at 0 while the LCDs are backlit and blank. The temp/fuel gauges and warning lights are fine, however. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Also I checked all fuses and have tried to find if a relay is the culprit, but no luck.

Thanks you!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Huntern321
Hello, everyone.

I've encountered quite the peculiar issue with my 98' Boxster. My speedometer, Tachometer, and all of the lower info LCDs are not functioning. They can be manually triggered with Durametrics but do not function with the car. The speedo and tach stay at 0 while the LCDs are backlit and blank. The temp/fuel gauges and warning lights are fine, however. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Also I checked all fuses and have tried to find if a relay is the culprit, but no luck.

Thanks you!
Did this happen out of the blue?

All I have to offer is whenever the dash gages, lights, a portion of the dash doesn't work as expected the ignition switch is suspect.

Or if not the ignition switch then water, maybe not at the security module, but getting into the dash leaking in through a bad windshield gasket/seal, or bad top.

And if not water then possibly mice.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Huntern321
2nd Gear

Well actually someone with fiddling with installing a new audio unit as well as fixing an oversensitive horn issue. So likely that caused the issues I'm seeing however my problem is present even when the audio unit is removed. It could be a coincidence that this issue came up around the same time but I'm doubtful.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:33 AM
chromecarz00
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Huntern321
Well actually someone with fiddling with installing a new audio unit as well as fixing an oversensitive horn issue. So likely that caused the issues I'm seeing however my problem is present even when the audio unit is removed. It could be a coincidence that this issue came up around the same time but I'm doubtful.

Do you have any updates to this?

I have the exact same issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Braindead Instrument Cluster (Speedo/Tach/LCD)