Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.6L swapped 01 Boxster... What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Oriscany421
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
" it would pass any emissions test"
No, not in California anymore ! Perhaps in Co now but how long before the California software is used elsewhere? According to the manufacturer, not long because they already supply the machines and software in many States.
In the old days it would pass the Visual Test . It would also potentially pass the Functional and Readiness Tests
Just read the post #8 above with all the details. It is a great pity.And yes I have an interest in a Star Certified Smog Check Station.The latest 2015 equipment is different from previous versions.How?
The APPLUS computer will detect an non-match between the VIN and the DME coding. The 3.6l will only get past this Tampering/Equipment Failure after a visit to the Referee proves the VIN and DME match. Trust me ,you do not want to have to visit a BAR Referee and fail. If you pass = o.k. But how?
In S.Cal this would be a Track car or a parts car after the first Smog Test Failure
If the coding of the ECU matches the VIN - you will pass. But the DME code for fueling for the 3.6 upgrade will have been modified? Alternatively, the installer of the upgrade may have used the parent ECU for the 3.6? Either way ,the new software in the AAPLUS will detect it.It is simple - it just matches actual vs. expected values in the ECU.
A PPI by a Porsche shop may be misleading.This is not about function ,nor MIL.That would be easy .It is about differences i the ECU vs. stock.
Better to get the PPI for Smog done by a Smog Tech who understands the latest procedures and where they are going in future. Read the "finger printing" statement by the software developer. It is sinister.
It seems that we forget that there are 49 other states that are not as insane as California. So unless you live in this police state you will/should have no problems. Here in Virginia and in most states we don't have to worry about this.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
No problem. That is the whole point .
If the DME coding is stock and matches the VIN -you are golden.
In theory there is the "Visual" but on a Boxster that is highly unlikely to be an issue.
So if you can make the original DME run the engine satisfactorily and there is no MIL and no excessive emissions, and no other obvious equipment violations - your a winner !
Until the next upgrade to the APPLUS software ..................
This is one of the reasons I rebuilt my original engine with LN 3.6 sleeves & pistons in 2010, by the time I finished it was due for a smog test. Visual was stock appearing, & emissions were the lowest test I ever had by far.
I am going to sell my OE exhaust manifolds.

Last edited by Byprodriver; 10-11-2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-09-2019, 12:07 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Send this car to me in TX. If it all checks out, I will trade you my Boxster S for yours.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-25-2021)

Quick Reply: 3.6L swapped 01 Boxster... What's it worth?