Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woohoo project boxster starts this weekend!

Old 07-26-2016, 01:56 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woohoo project boxster starts this weekend!

So bring the glutton for punishment I am, I bought a 2001 2.7L Boxster that serves very nicely add a mosquito fogger. The picture of the magnet below should speak for itself. Assuming she is the victim of a catastrophic IMS bearing failure but at 186,000 miles it could be something else.

Like my other "woohoo" threads we're about to embark on another Fronkenstein's Garage odyssey. We also purchased a 2005 3.2L 6-speed "S" flood victim - water line 2" above the floorpan.

So we're going to mod and fab our way to something we hope to exceed our expectations as much as the 928 and 944-68 projects have.

So here is a picture of our candidate and engine internal health indicator. Stay tuned for the show

Fronkenstein
Attached Images    
Old 07-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Disaster
Intermediate

That is scary! Good luck.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Hello Fronkenstein,

Whaaoo, this is a challenging project !
One of the cards in the game has stuff as hard (and magnetic) as steel,
..and the other one was quite wet !
Let me think : 2" above the floor plan, does it mean that the flat six was water filled ??

It make me remember of a photo that I posted recently in my Panamera topic :
see : https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...l#post13360114
..Some where in my country, should be a wet Panamera, that is also probably for sale !!
(from a guy not knowing about tides, that found a nice parking spot !)
Old 07-27-2016, 04:46 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Going to see the flood car on Thursday. If the high water mark shows on the engine no deal. It is a freshwater flood victim otherwise I wouldn't touch it with a 100' pole.

Fronkenstein
Old 07-27-2016, 03:29 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Would you not be in a much safer position to complement the dead engine one with one of the same year, that has i.e. front or side collision damages ?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:51 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

If what you mean by "safe" equates to ease of compatibility then we don't do "safe" We are very safety conscious but we're not afraid of mixing components to maximize performance in keeping with quality. Example: my 1978 928 has 997 brembo brakes at all corners. Much better and less costly than even the M030 brakes overall.

The 3.2 is a better box and having a 6 speed is yummy. If I could find a post IMS issue drive train that wasn't $15K compared to my $3K hulk here I would buy it.

This car will go the same route my 87 944 went (just search for woo-hoo 944) which is now far and away superior to any other route I could have taken.

Besides when did a Fronkenstein ever take the safe way out

Fronkenstein
Old 08-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Hey followers I have the chance to acquire a 996 that I want to pull the trigger on. So it looks like this project is going to be canceled. So the victim is up for grabs in the marketplace.

Fronkenstein
Old 08-03-2016, 11:19 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

If you want to track it, after 30 years non stop of 911, I can tell you that a 996 is BY FAR much less fun that an Boxster on track !
Now, it this is for a daily: Yes, I would prefer a 996, it is much more "convenient". Imo the best sport/compromise cars of all, thanks the the two small rear seats. (A lot more of usage than having instead the "rear trunk" of a 986.
This kind of choice is very personal, but at least for tracking these, I would simply NEVER use a 996.
The only better car than a 986 on track is a Lotus Exige V6 Cup, with a good tuning (i.e.: the best is Komo-Tec, in Germany, nothing beat a V6 Cup with about 460 hp on the wheels.)
Old 08-04-2016, 02:41 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Everyday driver. I have nothing in the way of your experience with Porsche or even tracking. However I am in total agreement on the boxster as a superior place to start for a track car.

I was amazed at the Swede's 5.0L twin turbo monster boxster's ability to keep on the track given the weight and power. It's a cool machine but I think I would have gone with a 997 TT engine instead. Heck why not a Panamera with that awesome manumatic trans

Never having owned a 911 or any of its derivatives, I cannot make any statement one way or the other.

Things could change. The keys aren't in my hand yet.

I will keep you posted. Should know by Monday coming.

Fronkenstein

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Woohoo project boxster starts this weekend!