Sponsored by:

3.2S Tiptronic lumpy/holding back CEL

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:48 PM
FredGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.2S Tiptronic lumpy/holding back CEL

Hi guys, I'm really snowed under at the moment and as a consequence our little 25k mile 2003 986S hasn't been out at all this year until yesterday.

It went into the garage as normal in November last year and was all fine. It started fine but was a little smokey which is normal after standing. I got a mile down the road though and it was running very rough and holding back. It then threw a check engine light.

Its not making any odd noises beyond the strange idle. I'm away for the week so won't be able to try to read any codes but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts for me as to what it might be.

Regards
Fred
Old 06-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by FredGT3
Hi guys, I'm really snowed under at the moment and as a consequence our little 25k mile 2003 986S hasn't been out at all this year until yesterday.

It went into the garage as normal in November last year and was all fine. It started fine but was a little smokey which is normal after standing. I got a mile down the road though and it was running very rough and holding back. It then threw a check engine light.

Its not making any odd noises beyond the strange idle. I'm away for the week so won't be able to try to read any codes but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts for me as to what it might be.

Regards
Fred
I'm going with bad gasoline, stale gasoline. You might want to have this removed and fresh added and then drive to a station and fill up with fresh. Before you head out let the engine run some to let the fresh gasoline make it all the way through the fuel system. If it is bad gasoline the engine should perk up run better as the fresh gasoline replaces the stale gasoline.

If it doesn't there's likely another problem.

There is the possibility of rodent damage. Whenever a car sits unused for long periods of time -- and months qualifies -- rodents can setup shop, errr housekeeping and can gnaw the heck out of wiring insulation, various plastic tubes (in one car, a Cayman, the gasoline vapor vent tube from the tank to the engine compartment), hoses, plastic A/C vent tubes and what have you. I've even seen the heavy rubber sheeting that forms the radiator ducts chewed through.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:24 PM
FredGT3
Advanced

I finally got round to having this taken to the shop today. Lazy I know but I've been playing with a new GT3 so have an excuse I feel.

However it threw a "Check Drive" error today when getting it on the transporter. However the check drive message disappeared when putting the tiptronic in reverse and returned in drive.

Any ideas folks.

Thanks
Fred
Old 09-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by FredGT3
I finally got round to having this taken to the shop today. Lazy I know but I've been playing with a new GT3 so have an excuse I feel.

However it threw a "Check Drive" error today when getting it on the transporter. However the check drive message disappeared when putting the tiptronic in reverse and returned in drive.

Any ideas folks.

Thanks
Fred
Check Drive? If that isn't just a euphemism or substitute for CEL but actually refers to another warning light and refers to a possible Tip problem I have no real ideas of what could be wrong. I have no Tip experience.

But the shop can query the Tip controller and the DME for an Tip or other related errors that can point at a possible problem.

What year GT3 did you get? I looked at some GT3's but kind of backburnered the idea of getting another Porsche for a while.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:37 PM
FredGT3
Advanced

Hi, apparently the codes point to the secondary air pump but they haven't figured it out yet. Its also running well now and has passed emmission tests.

Its a 14 991 GT3, had a 996 GT3 and then a 997 GTS. But the Boxster started my liking for Porsche.

Thanks
Fred

Quick Reply: 3.2S Tiptronic lumpy/holding back CEL