Boxster 986 1998 missfire on cylinder 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 10:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bergertraian
hello ty for the quick reply ...

i had a friend come ... he is a very good electician .. he sed to me that : there is no electical problem .. i have piwis clone ... the car is little beter wen the engine is warm up ( but u canot drive the car ... )
i trust him .. we tested injecotrs , end the spark from the coil ... its very good ..
i worck in a service ... il buy cam tools tomorow morning ... end take the engien down ... clean it , change solenoid bank 1-3 ,4-6 verify the valves ... mby the one from cyl 3 is broken end its remains opened or closed ... ty for your reply ... il take pictures end whrie about the procedure ...

sory for my bad english ... hope u can understand it
Your english is ok. Don't worry about it.

Well, it is your call to take the engine down. These engines are not that straightforward to work on. AFAIK Porsche publishes no info on engine disassembly/assembly. In the past I didn't blink in disassembling a couple of engines but I'd be very reluctant to tackle my Boxster engine.

However, some owners have managed to get the engine apart and more importantly back together again and a few have published what they did and how.

If you have a PIWIS clone you can check cam timing readings and possibly even trigger cam timing changes if you suspect a VarioCam solenoid/actuator is the problem.

The sound of the engine didn't sound like my Boxster's engine when a VarioCam solenoida/actuator proved to be bad, but maybe there are different levels of failure. After I briefly shut off the engine and then restarted the engine the symptoms were gone and the engine ran just fine. Good enough I drove it 30 miles home with no drama. However I didn't push my luck but got the car in pronto.

The tech told me the engine can misfire if the problem, the failure is bad enough. Because the timing is not right the O2 sensor readings aren't what the DME wants to see and it will adjust fueling in an attempt to get the desired O2 sensor readings. It can go too far and fueling becomes so bad the engine can misfire. Using an OBD2 code reader/data viewer I observed the short term fuel trims swinging wildly about but I do not remember if the DME would end up adding too much fuel which would end so to speak in rich misfires or too little fuel which would end with just misfires (due to a too lean condition).

Anyhow, best of luck with whatever you do and I hope whatever you do addresses the problem.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:54 PM
bergertraian
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-05-2016, 01:55 PM
bergertraian
AutoX

heloo back again .. WITH PHOTO )) FOUND THE PROBLEM ...

cylinder head removal on bank 1-3 poot it on a table pour disel on top end surprise , surprise cyl 3 is vv wet !
Old 07-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

heloo back again .. WITH PHOTO )) FOUND THE PROBLEM ...

cylinder head removal on bank 1-3 poot it on a table pour disel on top end surprise , surprise cyl 3 is vv wet !
So that's a leaking intake valve then? Or exhaust valve?
Old 07-06-2016, 12:50 AM
bergertraian
AutoX

intake
Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A leakdown test would have found it I,m surprized compression test showed such high numbers as 10 bar in #3.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

intake
Intake valve leak is rare. Why is it leaking? Bad seat? "Stuck" valve? Does the valve edge have a bad spot in it? On an exhaust valve the bad spot would have soon been burned/melted to a small V notch looking almost like one took a small cutting torch to the edge of the valve. Not sure this happens to the intake.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
A leakdown test would have found it I,m surprized compression test showed such high numbers as 10 bar in #3.
Agree regarding the leak down test.

And I also share your surprise at the compression numbers from the #3 cylinder.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:39 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Do a leak-down test instead of Compression test ?
Woops too late
Old 09-21-2016, 06:25 PM
bergertraian
AutoX

the car is ok now

Quick Reply: Boxster 986 1998 missfire on cylinder 3