Sponsored by:

Price check on 97 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 05:09 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Price check on 97 Boxster

Someone is trying to trade me their Boxster and another car for a Cayenne Turbo S that I have listed here. I would keep the other car but not the Boxster so trying to figure out what it may be worth. I'm thinking between 7 and 8K. Silver black, 80k miles and Ims done, AOS done, RMS done, clutch done, coolant flushed, new water pump and thermostat, new tranny gear oil all done at the dealer. 5 owners however the Carfax appears to have all the services three as it's always been serviced at the dealer.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Someone is trying to trade me their Boxster and another car for a Cayenne Turbo S that I have listed here. I would keep the other car but not the Boxster so trying to figure out what it may be worth. I'm thinking between 7 and 8K. Silver black, 80k miles and Ims done, AOS done, RMS done, clutch done, coolant flushed, new water pump and thermostat, new tranny gear oil all done at the dealer. 5 owners however the Carfax appears to have all the services three as it's always been serviced at the dealer.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
From the viewpoint of a seller my advice is to visit the several used car pricing sites: www.nada.com; www.kbb.com; and there could be others and plug in the Boxster's numbers and see what comes up for the car's wholesale/trade-in value and its private and retail sale values.

Since the car in question is low miles, a good color combo, has the usual list of suspected trouble spots recently taken care of, including the IMS, you could ask premium private sale price. The downside is the car's age and that it is a 2.5l engine car. Not that these were or even are now bad cars, but times have moved on.

But from the viewpoint of a buyer, as you are by your taking the car in as a trade in for your Cayenne S, I'd consider the Boxster worth its trade in/wholesale value only.

And that's what I would allow the Boxster owner for his Boxster.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:41 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Was the IMS bearing itself replaced or just the seal? Using what part? Makes a difference. I ask because not many dealers do the bearing.

All those items add value to it as a keeper to a knowledgeable buyer. But how many of those are looking for that age car?
Old 03-22-2016, 03:56 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you both, I was ok with the 986 but he was placing way too much value on the 2nd car he was trying to trade me.

Quick Reply: Price check on 97 Boxster