Sponsored by:

Talk me into keeping my Boxster AKA 1st world problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 AM
haji3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me into keeping my Boxster AKA 1st world problems

I've gone a little Porsche crazy this year. First I got a 996, always wanted a 911 since I was a kid. Guards Red with Savannah Beige interior. Great car, low miles, IMS done, all records,etc. Decided the wife needed a Boxster, Blue with Grey interior, again IMS done low miles a 9 out of 10. Wife wasn't thrilled with a two seater, ended up getting her a 2008 Cayenne Turbo. Again, perfect. Great family car.

My accountant side says nobody needs 3 Porsches ( a couple other cars in the stable as well) I'm trying to convince my self to keep the Boxster. It is really fun, is a convertible, way less money in it, wife will drive it but not the 996 (not sure if that is a pro or a con).

This is kind of like picking Mary Ann or Ginger.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:31 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

You have a red/beige 911 (me too!), your wife the Cayenne. Get rid of the Boxster. Unless, you can afford all three without constraint. In which case, tell your accountant to take a hike!

More pics of the 911 please!

T
Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Every family needs a drop top sunny day car. Keep it.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 214 Posts

Easy..... keep it. Finding a good sorted Boxster is half the battle. And I agree with LexVan, you have to have a convertible in you stable. Get a battery tender and drive it when you (or the wife) are in the mood.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

There's just me here no spouse and I have two Porsches: A 2002 Boxster and a 2003 996 Turbo. I alternate between driving the Boxster and the Turbo back and forth to work. For around town errands I use the Boxster as it is an easier car to drive in town, less prone to severe nose dragging going in and out of driveways.

Also, it is nice to when one car is in the shop to have a Porsche as my back up car.

It reads to me like you are manufacturing a problem where none exists.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:30 PM
evifenocvt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep them all. boxster resale value stinks anyways, and insurance on a 3rd car that you barely drive is still very cheap. options to track out the boxster or as others have said, sunny day drop top cruiser... or also likely some relative or close friend will one day eye it and better to sell or gift to them.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:17 AM
haji3
Advanced

I'm looking for someone to say " Sell the 996, you can't use all the power with out getting speeding tickets, don't buy into the hype that a Boxster is a girl's car, you will have more fun with a Boxster, Steve Mcqueen drove a 912 in Le Mans, you can drive a Boxster, of some other argument that will convince me to sell the 996.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by haji3
I'm looking for someone to say " Sell the 996, you can't use all the power with out getting speeding tickets, don't buy into the hype that a Boxster is a girl's car, you will have more fun with a Boxster, Steve Mcqueen drove a 912 in Le Mans, you can drive a Boxster, of some other argument that will convince me to sell the 996.
Cops don't ticket for HP. Never got a ticket driving my 400hp 2006 Torrid Red GTO.

Got a couple of tickets in my dark blue VW Golf TDi with 90hp. Same goes for my 2.7l Boxster with just 217hp. And yes, to show there are exceptions, I've been ticketed a couple of times in my 420hp Turbo.

My Boxster has been, still is, a great car. I do not feel like I'm giving up anything switching from the Turbo to the Boxster. Sure, the Boxster doesn't have the HP but it is plenty peppy and a real nice driving car. What I miss most in the Boxster vs. the Turbo is primarily the Turbo has a better view out than the Boxster. (I never drive the Boxster with the top down.)

The Turbo has some options that I really like and wished the Boxster had: Auto dimming mirrors, bi-xenon headlights, rain sensing and variable wipers. Having these in the Turbo has really spoiled me.

Consider this: Whichever car you sell you are going to take a hit on the depreciation. You can keep a car on the road for a long time with what depreciation will cost you.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:04 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Mac back in '70 I bought a red 914. Not the highest horsepower car (85HP 1.6) on the planet then. From the start, I was always one ticket away from losing my license. Sold it due to quality of service problems and bought a BMW 2002 in a typical for the time yellow/orange color. Kinda visible. For the next 4 years I didn't get a single ticket. Stopped once but got a warning.

Same experience with two red Alfa roadsters. Took a tan VW to get my points back.

Owned two silver 986s. No tickets.

So do I think color matters...you bet. I even think that an auto transmission influences how you drive and reduces your exposure to tickets.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:55 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Your accountant is an ***
Keep as many Porsche as you like
Old 12-01-2015, 11:24 PM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

I am an accountant and own a 986 and a 997. Both are incredible cars and no way would my wife trade for a Cayenne. Driver is a 2015 F150 SuperCrew. No reason to feel bad owning 3.

Additionally it was the 986 that convinced me the 662 horsepower GT500 was not what I really needed or wanted.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:05 AM
haji3
Advanced

Originally Posted by WV997S
I am an accountant and own a 986 and a 997. Both are incredible cars and no way would my wife trade for a Cayenne. Driver is a 2015 F150 SuperCrew. No reason to feel bad owning 3.

Additionally it was the 986 that convinced me the 662 horsepower GT500 was not what I really needed or wanted.
I should have said my frugal saver side. (I have two personalities, One is the super saver that doesn't have cable and the other is Jay Leno-I bounce back and forth) My actual accountant wants me to spend more money on the fallacy that spending 100% saves 28% in taxes. WV997s , appears you are in the Mountains. I'm originally from Bluefield, Blacksburg, Roanoke. I have spent 4 weekends lately driving the 986 and 996 all over the places I always wanted to drive in a sports car up there. I think if I lived up there keeping the 986 over the 996 would be an easy call.

Currently, and this is subject to change, I'm thinking I'm going to go in a refresh my 2002 Mini Cooper S and use it as my DD to make my frugal side feel better. Maybe that will push one out of the stable .

I guess it was crazy asking advice here. This is like stumbling into a bar hoping to find an AA meeting!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:16 AM
WV997S
Racer

I should have said my frugal saver side. (I have two personalities, One is the super saver that doesn't have cable and the other is Jay Leno-I bounce back and forth) My actual accountant wants me to spend more money on the fallacy that spending 100% saves 28% in taxes. WV997s , appears you are in the Mountains. I'm originally from Bluefield, Blacksburg, Roanoke. I have spent 4 weekends lately driving the 986 and 996 all over the places I always wanted to drive in a sports car up there. I think if I lived up there keeping the 986 over the 996 would be an easy call.

Currently, and this is subject to change, I'm thinking I'm going to go in a refresh my 2002 Mini Cooper S and use it as my DD to make my frugal side feel better. Maybe that will push one out of the stable .

I guess it was crazy asking advice here. This is like stumbling into a bar hoping to find an AA meeting!

Yes you have my area nailed and itnis beautiful for driving. I actually live near Pipestem WV if you know where that is you know it is beautiful.

Spending money on a Porsche generally does not create a tax deduction. I guess that deducting mileage to a client or meeting is as good as it gets.

Love the Mini as my son has one but it would not be fun for a long commute as the ride is rough as can be.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 AM
haji3
Advanced

Heck yeah. Know Pipestem well. Grew up playing golf tournaments there, proposed to me wife at the Oak Supper Club across from Pipestem.

The 996 and the Cayenne are company cars as I'm self employed. The Boxster is personal.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:53 AM
WV997S
Racer

Heck yeah. Know Pipestem well. Grew up playing golf tournaments there, proposed to me wife at the Oak Supper Club across from Pipestem.

The 996 and the Cayenne are company cars as I'm self employed. The Boxster is personal.
Small world....I proposed in Pipestem as well but on the park. Love the course there and have sacrificed many a old ball to the golf gods off #17.

Most of my clients deduct F150s and Silverados! The Cayenne may be over 6000 pounds which makes the deduction way more tax advantageous. I have never deducted one.

Quick Reply: Talk me into keeping my Boxster AKA 1st world problems