Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic S flashing 'D' replaced switched! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Dremzy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic S flashing 'D' replaced switched! HELP!

Hi guys,

My Boxster 2004 Tiptronic S had the following fault which caused 'D' and '4' to blink and tiptronic not to work. This is of course the limited driving programme.

P708 Multi-Switch Circuit A Performance Range (or something similar).

I just replaced the multi function switch which attaches to the transmission with an OEM replacement from Porsche.

Now the P R and N is a solid light, D blinks, but the auto and tiptronic work. If i'm in auto and press the tiptronic gear change, car shifts.

Why is 'D' still blinking!!!! Anyone got experience on this and can help?? Please don't say to go to OPC and use a PST2 as the only solution. I can read the codes as above ^^.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremzy
Hi guys,

My Boxster 2004 Tiptronic S had the following fault which caused 'D' and '4' to blink and tiptronic not to work. This is of course the limited driving programme.

P708 Multi-Switch Circuit A Performance Range (or something similar).

I just replaced the multi function switch which attaches to the transmission with an OEM replacement from Porsche.

Now the P R and N is a solid light, D blinks, but the auto and tiptronic work. If i'm in auto and press the tiptronic gear change, car shifts.

Why is 'D' still blinking!!!! Anyone got experience on this and can help?? Please don't say to go to OPC and use a PST2 as the only solution. I can read the codes as above ^^.
Well, while you can read the codes you do not have the documentation, training, and experience that helps you interpret what the codes mean, in this case what the P710 code means.

Not having any experience with a Tip all I have is just general thoughts.

With nothing specific to look at, there is the old standby of having a Tip fluid service done.

The fluid would have to be pretty bad to account for the behavior so if the level is ok just changing the fluid and filter might not help any. However, if the car is used you do not know what fluid was put in the Tip.

Even if the right fluid is in the Tip, if the fluid level is low a fluid service could help.

Low fluid level though suggests a leak and the Tip needs to be inspected and if there is leak sign this possibly addressed.

Some other things to consider: If the center radiator duct clear of trash? If the radiator air flow is impeded enough the Tip could run too hot. The temp sensor could then trigger limp mode.

Which leads to this: The temp sensor could be bad too. Not sure what it takes to replace this. If it not that much work you might consider doing this before throwing a fluid service at the behavior.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Dremzy
5th Gear

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and assistance it's appreciated.

Some things to note, it is not the P710 error, it is P708 which is multi function switch error which I had. I now have zero errors showing up on the car.

My diagnostic system is able to give live inputs, while driving, the new multi switch detects each gear ithat i'm selecting. It also detects when the manual/tiptronic circuit is being activated (when i slide it into tiptrnic mode).

The tiptronic mode is also works now with the new switch, you can switch gears using the steering wheel, all the way up to 5.

The only issue I have is that the "D" light is blinking and it doesn't display the manual tiptronic gears when I shift.

PRE replacing the multi function switch, the dashboard was blinking between 4 and D/P/N/R but this no longer happens.

Thank you for the tip on checking ATF temperature. My diagnostic system would of recorded that onto it' SD card, so i will have a check and see what it reads out now !!

If anyone has experience with Tiptronic gearboxes, that would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:35 PM
Dremzy
5th Gear

Ok i'm reading my diag tool and it says when i was driving on the motorway yesterday the tiptronic was running at :

196-198F!!!! Is it me of is this WAY TOO hot??

At this point using your advice earlier, i'm guessing two things...

either 1) Temperature sensor is faulty (diagnostic tool, mine or PST2 isn't finding a fault)

or
2) ATF fluid is way too low.

Anyone got thoughts on this??
Old 08-17-2015, 01:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremzy
Ok i'm reading my diag tool and it says when i was driving on the motorway yesterday the tiptronic was running at :

196-198F!!!! Is it me of is this WAY TOO hot??

At this point using your advice earlier, i'm guessing two things...

either 1) Temperature sensor is faulty (diagnostic tool, mine or PST2 isn't finding a fault)

or
2) ATF fluid is way too low.

Anyone got thoughts on this??
My info is the Tip fluid wants to be at 80C to change. 80C is 178F. That is obviously lower than the 196F to 198F you are seeing for a Tip fluid temperature. But whether what temperature you are seeing is too high I can't say.

It is not clear to me: Is the diagnostic tool you are using are you quoting Tip fluid temperature?

To state the obvious, you have to be sure the fluid level is correct. This is IIRC supposed to be measured with car level, the Tip at 80C, and the engine idling and I do not recall if the Tip should be in Park or Neutral.

If the fluid level is low this can cause the Tip fluid to run hot. I would be very reluctant to drive the car much if the fluid level is suspected of being low.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic S flashing 'D' replaced switched! HELP!