Clear liquid leak by right rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Ocada
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear liquid leak by right rear tire

Hey everyone,

So I have a 2004 Boxster. I bought it three years ago with 27,000 from an owner who meticulously maintained it. I recently noticed a small drip about 9 inches inside the rear right tire. I first noticed it about a week ago after a drive. Although I left the car in the garage for the past week, there was still a very small amount leaking as a puddle kept reappearing.

The liquid is clear and almost water like. It has a very very slight viscosity so I don't believe it is is just water.

It has been hot out here, but I normally drive with the top down and haven't been using the AC so I don't believe it's run off from that.

Looking through the forums it appears it could be a shock leak or a coolant leak. I've read that shock fluid is clear which makes me hope that is the problem. I've read somewhere that Porsche coolant is green, but that it can also be clear? My car is maintained by a well regarded Porsche Indy shop in OC, California so they are only using Porsche stuff.

I'm obviously worried about the coolant leak as I replaced a leaking head gasket two years ago. I saw in another thread that there is a coolant run off pipe near the location I'm talking about. What I'm unsure of is if it is normal to have the coolant running out like this or if this is a problem? The engine is running at a normal temp of 190-200 and I've never over heated it. I haven't had a chance to look in the engine bay itself or get under the car.

Any advice would be appreciated on this. Thanks guys.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:31 PM
gyuill
Intermediate

Almost definitely coolant. Shock oil is more viscous and, well, oily.

Possible issues are a water pump failure - look at the weep hole below the pump and see if it is coming from there. common failure.

Second would be a cracked coolant tank. Check the trunk and see if it is damp in the corner below the coolant tank. Bear of a job, unless you have tiny triple jointed hands.

Another possibility is a leaking coolant cap. Check and see if you have an -04 suffix on the part number, if not its time to pick up a new cap.

Coolant is a sealed system, any leak is going to be an issue and cause overheating eventually. Fix it now before it turns into a bigger job.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Ocada
6th Gear

Originally Posted by gyuill
Almost definitely coolant. Shock oil is more viscous and, well, oily.

Possible issues are a water pump failure - look at the weep hole below the pump and see if it is coming from there. common failure.

Second would be a cracked coolant tank. Check the trunk and see if it is damp in the corner below the coolant tank. Bear of a job, unless you have tiny triple jointed hands.

Another possibility is a leaking coolant cap. Check and see if you have an -04 suffix on the part number, if not its time to pick up a new cap.

Coolant is a sealed system, any leak is going to be an issue and cause overheating eventually. Fix it now before it turns into a bigger job.
So I took the boxster into the shop and they diagnosed it as the leaking coolant cap, which is great news. Should be all fixed up today. Thanks for your help on this.

Quick Reply: Clear liquid leak by right rear tire