Sponsored by:

the cycle of life

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:41 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts
Unhappy the cycle of life

An elderly Porsche mechanic is quite ill and probably wont beat cancer this time round. He has a 1997 Boxster with 110,000km/60,000 manual and drives perfectly. I drove it to a dealer who may dump it at auction for about $5000. I now understand the appeal of the car. I have done tonnes of reading about the various issues. I really this communities advise on how what is my exposure here. He cant speak anymore and I dont know if the engine was replaced.
I read somewhere that higher mileage cars tend to fair better than low mileage ones.
Buy and give to my retire parents or just let it go?

Thanks,
Old 07-31-2015, 11:33 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rufrob
An elderly Porsche mechanic is quite ill and probably wont beat cancer this time round. He has a 1997 Boxster with 110,000km/60,000 manual and drives perfectly. I drove it to a dealer who may dump it at auction for about $5000. I now understand the appeal of the car. I have done tonnes of reading about the various issues. I really this communities advise on how what is my exposure here. He cant speak anymore and I dont know if the engine was replaced.
I read somewhere that higher mileage cars tend to fair better than low mileage ones.
Buy and give to my retire parents or just let it go?

Thanks,
Sad to read about the ill Porsche mechanic. Here's hoping he pulls through in spite of the odds.

Are your parents sports car fans? Top down driving fans?

These cars sit low and are hard for some older people to get into and out of. Both my parents hated the Boxster for this and neither really liked the Turbo either even though it was a bit easier to get in and out of. Mom missed the Crown Vic and Dad his Dodge pickup.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:28 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks for your reply. You make some good points. I should consult with them. I am also considering a mint condition 1995 Volvo 960 and or 2001 Audi S8.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rufrob
Thanks for your reply. You make some good points. I should consult with them. I am also considering a mint condition 1995 Volvo 960 and or 2001 Audi S8.
Best to ask your parents what they want. My WAG is they'll chose the Volvo. My Dad raved about how "big" the Crown Vic was and how small my Boxster -- and even how small the Turbo was -- and and how at risk we were to being injured if hit by a larger vehicle, and almost every vehicle was larger.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:30 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default I replied to this thread on another forum

but, to add to what I said there, consider the availability of local mechanics, even their proximity. Consider your parents ability to manage the maintenance on an older car. Even their ability to afford probable repairs. Cars age as well as wear out.

I chose to replace the Boxster with a known most reliable car from a closest to me dealer. One that gives me a ride to and from if I need service.

Quick Reply: the cycle of life