Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Problem (not the standard one)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:11 PM
chromecarz00
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn Problem (not the standard one)

Well, I had the standard worn horn issue but I fixed that. Shortly after, my horn became intermittent, and then stopped working entirely. The fuse is intact. While driving along, I occasionally hear a sparking or crackling noise in the steering wheel, which goes away as soon as I press the horn. My preferred Porsche mech said there were some brushes behind the wheel that get worn out and need to be replaced, but he moved away and I don't trust the new one so I'm looking at you. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by chromecarz00
Well, I had the standard worn horn issue but I fixed that. Shortly after, my horn became intermittent, and then stopped working entirely. The fuse is intact. While driving along, I occasionally hear a sparking or crackling noise in the steering wheel, which goes away as soon as I press the horn. My preferred Porsche mech said there were some brushes behind the wheel that get worn out and need to be replaced, but he moved away and I don't trust the new one so I'm looking at you. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
If your preferred Porsche mechanic made the diagnosis and you trusted him then have the brushes done, or replaced or whatever is called for.

Sounds like the only real problem you are faced with is finding another Porsche mechanic you can entrust the job to.

If the diagnosis is correct -- and I have no reason to doubt it -- the sparking/crackling noises is electricity arcing and this is just going to erode/damage the contacts even further, necessitating even more work to put right. So I would not delay in getting this addressed.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM
chromecarz00
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macster
If your preferred Porsche mechanic made the diagnosis and you trusted him then have the brushes done, or replaced or whatever is called for.

Sounds like the only real problem you are faced with is finding another Porsche mechanic you can entrust the job to.

If the diagnosis is correct -- and I have no reason to doubt it -- the sparking/crackling noises is electricity arcing and this is just going to erode/damage the contacts even further, necessitating even more work to put right. So I would not delay in getting this addressed.
Yes I agree. I should have mentioned that I'm hoping for a part number for the part, if anyone knows what it is.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by chromecarz00
Yes I agree. I should have mentioned that I'm hoping for a part number for the part, if anyone knows what it is.
Pelican Parts has exploded drawings of assemblies with parts numbers listed. You can start your search at the Pelican Parts site.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 PM
chromecarz00
Intermediate

Will do, thanks
Old 01-30-2015, 12:54 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

most likely its the small rubber ring type "springs" in the horn assembly.

there are two recessed hex head bolts holding the air bag/horn cover on the steering wheel from
the back side. They can be a pain to crack loose.

Mike
Old 01-30-2015, 12:58 PM
chromecarz00
Intermediate

Thanks for letting me know. I couldn't find them on any of the exploded assembly in Pelican parts. would anyone be able to link me to them? Are they easily replaceable, or is it a new assembly?

Thanks in advance, I'm not usually this hopeless but it's the first time I've seen this issue posted about on the interwebs.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:00 PM
particlewave
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These steering wheels do not use brushes. The contacts are made via a clock spring. It could be bad.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:28 PM
chromecarz00
Intermediate

Wouldn't I have some steering issues if my clock spring was bad?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:59 PM
particlewave
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No. The clock spring has nothing to do with steering, only electrical contacts.

Quick Reply: Horn Problem (not the standard one)