Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone repaired a Boxster shifter cable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:52 PM
nrsosi
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone repaired a Boxster shifter cable?

I recently had an issue with gear shift getting stuck such that I could only get to reverse, first and second gear. I just located the problem, it is with one of the two shift cables at the transmission end. A brass fitting that is normally inserted into the cable outer sheath and crimped to hold in place has come loose, and when it slips out of the outer sheath it can jam between the sheath and the gearbox lever. The two pictures included with this post show the cable as it should look (first picture), and the cable with the brass fitting slid out of position and jammed (second picture).

New cables would fix it, but they are expensive ($552 from dealer) and difficult to install (dealer wants $500 labor, so total is over $1,000). Since the rest of the cable is in good shape, a much less expensive solution would be something that retains the brass fitting where it belongs.

Has anyone had similar problem and developed a solution other than cable replacement?
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2014, 12:21 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check eBay, I saw a number of cables between $50 and $100.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:25 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Not sure where you are located, but I have a set of cables that I had removed from my 2001 Boxster S when it had less than 25,000 miles on them. If you would like them they are your for $75 plus shipping.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There are several recent threads on cables. You can upgrade to Numeric or try using some of the generic fittings listed and linked in those threads.An example below. And consider the TRS clips?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...placement.html
Old 10-31-2014, 02:07 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Not sure where you are located, but I have a set of cables that I had removed from my 2001 Boxster S when it had less than 25,000 miles on them. If you would like them they are your for $75 plus shipping.
I think he has a 5-speed which uses different cables & fittings. Assuming that is the case I would buy your cables.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I think he has a 5-speed which uses different cables & fittings. Assuming that is the case I would buy your cables.
PM sent.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:32 PM
nrsosi
7th Gear

Thanks for the ideas. Don't think I have the patience to replace entire cable right now, and I don't have a lift so the under-the-car part is unpleasant. I am intrigued tho by Schnell Gelb's mention of TRS clips. Did a quick google search but didn't turn up anything obvious related to retaining clips for cables, can someone give me just a bit more info so I can check them out?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:43 PM
nrsosi
7th Gear

Does anyone have a set of junk Boxster shift cables I can experiment with? Broken / snapped cables would suit my purpose, I just need to try out some ideas on how to secure the brass end fitting at the transmission end.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

TRS clips:
http://tunersmotorsports.com/?p=1058
The reworking of the cables has already been done -just search
If you want just generic parts try a wire rigging supplier:
http://www.usrigging.com/wire-rope.html
http://www.webriggingsupply.com/page...vanized.html#B
Old 11-15-2014, 11:36 PM
nrsosi
7th Gear

I am now thinking about just putting in new cables. Have searched this and other forums plus general internet, have not found a good installation go-by. Does anyone know where to go for instructions (hopefully with lots of good pictures)?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2014, 10:29 PM
nrsosi
7th Gear

Default Successful Repair Completed!

In case anyone else experiences a similar issue, I can report a very simple and inexpensive repair that has gotten my car back on the road again.

Lowest quote I got to replace cables was nearly $900 parts and labor, and best I could do myself was $407 ordering cables from Pelican and installing myself. I almost pulled the trigger on that, but went one more time to stare at the cable......

Turns out that when I pushed the brass piece all the way back into place there was at least 1/2 inch of inner cable sheath exposed at the end, just enough to clamp something on to prevent the brass piece from falling out again. I went to Ace Hardware, bought the smallest hose clamp I could find (the type with a worm gear to tighten the slotted band), put that on the sheath between the brass fitting and the end of the cable and tightened snug (but not tight enough to bind up the steel cable within the sheath).

Happy to report she shifts like new. Only 60 miles so far but no problems. Cost $1.50 plus my time. Probably wouldn't recommend for the track, but seems like a reasonable, "no harm done" compromise for my situation.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Spyder2011
4th Gear

Default Replaced my 2011 boxster spyder shifter cable

I replaced it at a dealer a few months ago for slightly over $1000. The car was only about 25,000 miles when the shifter cable snapped. Ever since I bought the car I always had the problem shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Many times the gears has a clunking sound while I'm changing from 1st to 2nd. Other gears has no problem. Anyone has this problem?

Originally Posted by nrsosi
I recently had an issue with gear shift getting stuck such that I could only get to reverse, first and second gear. I just located the problem, it is with one of the two shift cables at the transmission end. A brass fitting that is normally inserted into the cable outer sheath and crimped to hold in place has come loose, and when it slips out of the outer sheath it can jam between the sheath and the gearbox lever. The two pictures included with this post show the cable as it should look (first picture), and the cable with the brass fitting slid out of position and jammed (second picture).

New cables would fix it, but they are expensive ($552 from dealer) and difficult to install (dealer wants $500 labor, so total is over $1,000). Since the rest of the cable is in good shape, a much less expensive solution would be something that retains the brass fitting where it belongs.

Has anyone had similar problem and developed a solution other than cable replacement?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I just had this happen to me on my 2000 Boxster S. Glad to have found this thread. I will try the clamp method. Any other solutions since then? And does the brass piece serve a significant function? Yes, I'm sure Porsche didn't bother to add it if they didn't think it was worth it. But, I was just wondering if it could be removed all together.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:56 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

The clips from TuneRS Motorsport are called :
"Porsche Shift Cable Security Clips"
http://shop.tunersmotorsports.com/?p...-clips-986-996
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...ter-cable.html
Old 10-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Fixed! Well, sort of. This was my exact problem. That metal sleeve/tube had slid forward. I was able to slide it back. I first tried a small hose clamp just forward of the metal sleeve/tube. But, the pressure squeezing on the forward part caused the cable inside to bind and harm shifting. I played with less pressure. But with less pressure to help shifting, I never felt comfortable that the clamp would hold and not just slide off itself. So admittedly I put a zip tie around the forward part. As long as that zip tie lasts, that metal sleeve/tube cannot slide down again. We'll see how long it lasts.

Quick Reply: Has anyone repaired a Boxster shifter cable?