EBS Racing oil sump baffle issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:57 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EBS Racing oil sump baffle issue

Hi all,

A couple of weekends ago a buddy of mine and I installed an EBS Racing oil sump baffle upgrade on my 2002 2.7. The motor is otherwise completely stock, with no deep sump system installed. I was told by the retailer that the part was a simple bolt-in replacement for a stock M96 motor, but this was not the case, and I wanted to go over the problem we ran into and see what you guys think before I bring this back to the retailer. I've bought from them in the past and my experience with them has always been fantastic, so I'm hesitant to throw their name out there just yet.

Essentially, the EBS piece as it arrived would not fit over one of the internal AOS mounting brackets and we had to cut a notch out of it to get it to fit. The modified shape more closely matches the shape of the original piece- it appears that there was no way the EBS piece would have ever fit properly without modification. Side note- my buddy had the equipment to properly cut this thing and clean it afterward to ensure no shavings or other debris come off from the cut area, so that's not a concern.

Now, some pictures.

The EBS piece the day it arrived. The problem area was the notch just to the left of the large, rounded cutout seen here. I think the notch was about a quarter inch deep.

The stock piece. Note the notch in that same area is much larger, perhaps an inch below the top of the baffle.

And finally, after we modified the EBS piece. It absolutely would not fit before- the part we cut out would not fit around one of the internal AOS mounting brackets as I previously mentioned.

So, a few questions for you guys.

1. Does anyone have any idea why the difference exists here? Is the shape different in the 911 version of the motor, or the 2.5, or 3.2, or anything like that?

2. If so, are there different versions of the EBS part and could I have just gotten the wrong one? I've seen no reference to different versions of this part in my research.

3. As I said, we had the proper equipment to make sure the cut is clean. Given that, are there any other potential issues with running this modified part in my car? Obviously, any warranty that the part may have had is now void.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

There is only 1 EBS baffle made & you did the right thing to trim as needed. Ideally the baffles should be as tight as possible & to acheive that it has to be made too big. If you had a pan spacer kit to increase oil capacity it probably would fit without any mods, but not function quite as well.
Baffling subject huh?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, quite baffling indeed! I have to say that it seems odd to have to cut something up when it supposedly should fit out of the box, but if that's standard to do I'll roll with it.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

It's kinda like piston rings. You can buy the ready to install rings with big gaps, or get the file to fit rings so you can see how tight you can make the gaps, without being to tight & get better sealing.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Deep Sump +2 qt.+ a horizontal baffle.

Here are some deep sump photos that may help others. This is a Technosump not per the manufacturers Installation Instructions .It fits well and IMHO is an improvement over the recommended method.YEMV.
I replaced all the Technosump fasteners with stainless steel.The studs you see are a custom length to replace the supplied bolts (which are slightly short). The studs (unlike the supplied bolts)fully engage all the thread available in the cranckcase halves. Studs secured by Red Loctite. Nuts on studs can be torqued to spec without any fear of stripping and the studs are a very convenient guide when fitting the parts.Use the largest possible 'fender washer' under each nut on the sump plate.There is a deep recess in which to fit them.This spreads the clamping load.Use green wicking Loctite on the nuts.
This arrangement is much easier to fit than the method(recently revised but still clunky)belatedly offered by the vendor.You can fit each part in sequence ,making sure it fits without distortion.
The most tedious but important part of the task is to trim the vertical baffle. It is easy to hack lumps off(plastic) but the trick is to preserve the snug fit that Porsche intended. I found the guide provided by the vendor was way off.This task is more like Dentistry than mechanics :-). You may need to slightly trim one corner of the rubber flaps that fouls the oil pick-up.The flaps must ...well err flap?If it hits an obstruction,it will not open as it should.
Otherwise Technosump was well made and should work even better than the vendor intended.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 02-15-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply: EBS Racing oil sump baffle issue