Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal Shavings in Oil Filter

Old 05-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Thanks for your continued concern and attention. I will get the spin-on filter adaptor after I've had a chance to research the filtration and flow specs of the original filter. Can you point me to anything? I'm concerned about being able to find a spin-on filter with same specs as cartridge.
There's only one Spin On Filter adaptor, the rest are pretenders. You DO NOT WANT the characteristics of the stock filter, as it's bypass system will send debris suspended in the oil throughout the engine when the bypass opens (at EVERY cold start).

Already had a magnetic drain plug. Will get the filter mag with spin on.
The filter mag is powerful and helps keep the debris in the filter canister, not in the filter where it can clog.

I talked to Lake Speed, Jr. at Joe Gibbs. He says the BR is designed to reduce the amount of wear metals produced at break-in; kind of a chemical break in. No special sauce to suspend metal/debris. I think I'll go with the $3/quart 10w30 dino from Autozone as flush / throw-away. I'll definitely be putting DT40 in once the flush complete. (Lake is fantastic, BTW. I am 100% sold on BR and Joe Gibbs oil for the 2.4L race motor I'm building.)
I carry out the majority of development for the Gibb's European oils. That said, Lake is an exceptional oil guy, he is not a Porsche M96 engine builder or developer. He doesn't know allt he positives that we have found from his oil, and one of those is the flushing capabilities of the BR when dealing with debris filled engines. This is a lot like asking a cam grinder to choose a camshaft, but he doesn't port the heads or build the engine.

I would have felt worse if I didn't do the IMS refit correctly--seems like George and Charles think I didn't cause my current situation.
I don;t think that you caused it either, BUT you have made the retrofit bearing more susceptible to issues from foreign object debris, along with the entire engine. This debris doesn't play around, the smaller and lighter it is, the more damaging it is..

No idea how the piece of IMS retaining ring eluded me to this point. Luckily it didn't seem to have traveled into the oil system.
I am more concerned with why you found it.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:19 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last I checked LN specified the NAPA Gold 1042 which I believe is a rebranded WIX 51042. The NAPA Platinum 1042 use was discouraged due to IIRC too much flow restriction compared with the Gold.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:14 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The Napa Gold is rated at 9-11 gpm but I had a hard time finding flow specs for others to compare. But if LN say this is the one -good enough for me.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
The Napa Gold is rated at 9-11 gpm but I had a hard time finding flow specs for others to compare. But if LN say this is the one -good enough for me.
For oil pump flow a rule of thumb I was told is an engine oil pump should should flow around 1 liter/second which means 60l/minute.

The oil pump used in the 964 engine flows 65 liters/minute or 17.17gpm.

The GT3 oil pump flows even more, 83 liters/minute.

While the Boxster oil pump probably doesn't flow 65 liter per minute (or 17.17gpm) and oil filter that only flows when new 9 to 11 gpm seems a bit on the low flow side.

That works out to 41.6 liters/minute and under the 1 liter/second rule of thumb.

Like the 964 engine, the Boxster engine has some big oil squirter jets one for each piston. These are essentially an internal oil leak, though they have a flow restricter in each one.

Even so, in the 964 the oil jets use 17 liters/minute, the mains/rods use 35 liters/minute (that's 52 liters/minute right there and the valve hardware gets 13 liters/minute. And the 964 engine was a SOHC engine with just two valves per cylinder.

41.6 liters / minute based on the filter flow rate just doesn't seem like enough flow.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:59 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

The LN spin on adapter and recommended filter has worked for how many hundred customers?

Been out on the market for several years.

Jake, since oil starvation at startup is presumably the reason for the bypass, could you explain the logic of not providing that? The concern is any delay in getting oil through the system especially after the car has sat for a winter or even a week trip where the engine hasn't been used.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The factory specifications are out to lunch based on what practical testing has proven in regard to flow data. We have used the same filter with the Spin On Filter Adaptor for other engines, even the 9a1, and turned over 8,000 RPM with it- No issues, and thats with a super high volume PWM variable oil pump.

Jake, since oil starvation at startup is presumably the reason for the bypass, could you explain the logic of not providing that? The concern is any delay in getting oil through the system especially after the car has sat for a winter or even a week trip where the engine hasn't been used.
No, the bypass in the filter is to allow oil to still reach the internally, oil pressure fed components in the event that a clogged filter occurs. It is also there to protect the (weak) factory filter cartridge at start up, so the oil pressure does not crush it, and kill oil flow, thus wasting the engine.

The LN Spin On Oil Filter Adaptor was invented alongside the IMS Solution. It was brought to market in before any of our other developments and tens of thousands have been sold, not hundreds. Every engine we have reconstructed has one installed as standard equipment.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:52 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Napa Platinum seems to have the same flow rate as the Gold as shown on the Wix website, but uses synthetic media.

Do we need to avoid these.with the spin on and IMS solution?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BED997
Napa Platinum seems to have the same flow rate as the Gold as shown on the Wix website, but uses synthetic media.

Do we need to avoid these.with the spin on and IMS solution?
The IMS Solution uses a different filter than the standard spin on filter adaptor.

Only use what's recommended with our products. You won't find any better all around performer than what we've supplied. Developing the best product is all that I do, and there's a reason for everything that we so or supply. That reason is generally not published.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM
yemington
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
I have added an oil pressure gauge and sender (VDO 350-104 and VDO 360-028). Running Joe Gibbs DT40.
How does this compare to what you all expect or are seeing?
Cheers,
Tom

Hot at idle
https://i.imgur.com/MedpJcv.jpg
Hot at 2000rpm
https://i.imgur.com/TwIyPh7.jpg

Hot at 4000
Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by yemington
Hi All,
I have added an oil pressure gauge and sender (VDO 350-104 and VDO 360-028). Running Joe Gibbs DT40.
How does this compare to what you all expect or are seeing?
Cheers,
Tom

Hot at idle
https://i.imgur.com/MedpJcv.jpg
Hot at 2000rpm

Hot at 4000
Without looking it up IIRC Porsche states for the Boxster engine the oil pressure at 5K RPMs should read 6 bar with the engine up to temperature. That's around 87psi. (Roughly multiply bar by 14.5 to get psi.)

I do not have an oil pressure gage in the Boxster, but my 03 Turbo has one.

Running 0w-40 oil and when warmed up the engine has a hot idle oil pressure of between 1.5 bar (on a very hot day) to just under 2 bar (on a cool day). At 3K the oil pressure is over 4 bar and can reach nearly 5 bar at red line.

I suspect the oil pressure gage is a bit dampened and the actual oil pressure is a bit higher, at least at the upper end for IIRC Porsche states the oil pressure for the Turbo engine should be 6.5 bar at 5K RPMs with the oil at 90C.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great thread. Too bad it is occasioned by Tom's (yemington) problem. I hope that this car is one of the lucky ones that survive this.

Thanks, Jake, for contributing here. It's reassuring to get information from someone with your experience with this problem.

I've been thinking very seriously about getting a Boxster S to replace my 928 S4 (garage queen) and '89 944 (daily driver), but this information really gives me pause. Yes, it's a fairly small percentage of overall failures--but "27 modes of failure," yikes. If I do proceed with a Boxster it will be one with an LN retrofit, or it will be one that will get the LN "Solution" as a first order of business.

I, too, am really astounded by the magnitude and (worse) PERSISTENCE of the design flaws on the part of Porsche. As Jake points out, the biggest damage is to the loyalty of steadfast Porsche fans.

STP
Old 07-30-2014, 04:28 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

We know about the 27 modes of failure, we chatter endlessly it seems about the IMS, we construct lists of all the bad points about the cars.

Because we care about the cars because they are such wonderful cars.

I own other cars, participate in other-brand forums, and nowhere do I see the level of knowledge and passion for our cars that I see for our Boxsters. You get to know warts and all because we care. If we didn't care, why would anyone post to a forum to ask, tell or just chatter? Believe me the brand-T forums are dead and the level of knowledge exchanged is 2% of what goes on here. And those cars fail too. It just doesn't have the same emotional impact. It is because they are great cars...not perfect. None are.

I owned 2 other cars of about the same vintage and put on the same number of miles as my 2 Boxsters, over 5 years I spent fewer $ maintaining my Boxsters than I did on either of the other cars which were of high reliability by reputation. And the parts I did put on the Boxsters were far better and more $$ than those similar ones I put on the Acura or Honda because I cared about the Porsches, not so the other cars.

You know lots about the 928 and know people who have had expensive maintenance/repair needs for those, and you still love the Shark. It isn't blind love, but it sure is love.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Good post. I would like to add that given there are 27 modes of failure suggests that none are that common, though of course if one owns a car that manifests even one of these that can't be fun.

In some way the larger the number of failure modes the less concerned I'd be. You show me a car with an engine that has just one or two modes of failure -- shades of the Vega -- and I'd give the car a miss.

Furthermore, I suspect 27 modes of failure could (and will) climb to 28, 29 and even higher as time goes by and as more cars and engines accumulate more miles. If anyone bothers to track this long enough eventually there will as many failure modes as there are parts in the engine. How many is that? 500? 1000?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Metal Shavings in Oil Filter