Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIWIS reading, R1 and R2, then what ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

..To stay (this time !!) into the topic, ..I think last week-end, I made my little contribution to the "R1" number of this car !

I did had some "Airports & Parkings cones tracks" experiences, but never with accurate lap time measurement.
So, I discovered, that I'm quite bad driving into these cones, ..or, quite good, at picking them up !
(It also remembered me the old time, when doing ski racing, i.e.: slaloms and giant slaloms, or, : you better walk the course with intense concentration, as when you are on it, ..you have only one run to do it right!)
I think that a good way could be to have a small folding bike, and ride the course as many time as possible on the morning, before it opens !

Sure, the tires are never at the right temp, ..but it IS true for all of us.
OK, my (current) Hand Cook, even if all of them are (were ??) brand new, they look to me to be very slippery: I even got the feeling that someone may have added soap (or grease ??) into the rubber mix, ..before they made my set !

Well, for sure, I did discover that Autocross is fun, but, if you are like Mr. Michael Delaney, and think that ..“Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting”, with 4 runs of 1 minute on the morning, and 5 runs on the afternoon, then, it was a VERY long day waiting, ..for 9 minutes on the driver seat !
At least, now I understand that it is a must to take a folding chair with you.
The great things is that the people out there are all very nice.

Anyway, thanks to Bob986 for the photo, (of the “King of R1”) that I found today on the Ethernet :

Or, a photo taken over the windows of my “neighbor”, while waiting :

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 04-22-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:56 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Testing another image server to post images faster and in an easier manner:

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 06-17-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:39 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

The “King of R1” is now at my preferred mechanic for The IMS retrofit.
(I wanted to stop “getting my chance” at each “run out” !

I decided to “Double”, and specifically asked to get THIS kit :

Thanks to Jake for good engineering.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 07-14-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:13 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

..Well, while waiting for the delivery of the IMS double row pro kit upgrade, in the mean time, have a 4" under pulley installed, a new water pump with metal impeller, a new low temp thermostat and a new (shorter) serpentine belt.
Having the gearbox out, the CV joints have been checked and they are all good.
A kind of good 60k service work..
Old 07-09-2014, 02:14 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Digging into the car, I understood that before I bought it, it was upgraded with an aFe power intake system, together with an "oil filter" !
Anybody familiar with this ?
What is the maintenance that such air filter do require ??

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 07-20-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:49 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

If the stars goes into a good alignment, I may have my double row baring in place of the OEM single row by tomorrow !
Almost a month, to learn that a small racing shop, that specialize more in Lotus than in Porsche, would not know that this brand new kit do require a brand new tool to be installed.
So, between the fact that until you do remove the baring in place, you do not know for sure what you have, i.e.: a double (little chance) or a single (larger chances) row, (i.e.: having to wait for the removal, before placing the order for the right kit), I had also to learn that the “new” tool that the shop had on hands, ..was not OK to install this brand new kit !

Well, now, that all is clear, I hope to have it installed and all OK this week.

I would like also to say thank you to Jake, who helped the shop and myself to learn and understand the situation.

For your information, as the shop I selected to do this work, is not specializing in Porsche, I got the brand new tool in my bill, so, not only, I will have soon a ceramic double row in my car, ..I will be also the "happy" owner of a brand new IMS Pro LN tooling kit, ..that end up in my repair bill !!
As, I'm not a mechanic, and that I count that I will NOT have to make another change of IMS bearing in my car, I would be very happy to sell this tool, ..that will only have a single usage !!
Just PM me if you are looking for such tool !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 07-20-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:20 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Happy to have the car back, and to be able to celebrate the installation of the new Double Row Pro LN kit.
For that, I felt that nothing would be better than a day in Laguna Seca !
Not the first time here, but always with great pleasure, such a great track, with great people.
By the way, I would like to give my Kudos to “Speed Ventures” for a great organization on this DE at this fabulous track, with a particular thank you to Aaron for his super fast answers (emails) and his great welcome. “Speed Ventures” is definitively a name to know for DE around here.

On my driving experience, after more than 30 years of Porsche, I got a “First one” yesterday : I lost the brakes on track !!!
Hopefully, I was able to perceive alerts earlier enough, and good also that it was close to the end of a session ! (I was chasing a powerful & very well modded yellow Mustang, that was much faster than me on straight lines, ..but, on every corners, I was braking hard later than him, (with a carriage that is much lighter). I’m sure, I was for him a bad tailgater. After few laps like that, he let me go, but, less than a lap after that, ..my brakes also let me go !
Good that my friend Rob, at Dietsch Werks had reserved 3 paddocks, and have a team ready on spot. Diag was immediate : Bubbles on fluid !
Well, I bought the car from an SCCA Guy six month ago, with new rotors, new pads, so I was only figuring that the fluid was also changed !
It seems that either the answer was no, or, ..the fluid was a type for “old ladies driving slowly in small towns in a flat county”.
Thanks for the super efficient work of the mechanics (John) of Dietsch Werks, I had perfect brakes ready for the next session.
In addition to that, I want to mention that it is GREAT to be a customer of Dietsch Werks, and to feel so welcome on a perfectly organized lounge on the paddock, with drinks, fresh fruits, larges choices of sandwiches and salads. Thanks to Rob and his wife for such efficient and great organization.

The good point to remember about that : Flush the brake liquid every year, and use only the BEST fluid on the market. Do NOT save on brake fluid !

Beside that, nothing important to mention, except that my exhaust is starting to be leaky, I think one cat (secondary) is broken inside (cat split).
So, I’m thinking about what to do, i.e.: “simple fix”, or, a good complete (with cats, to be street legal, but high flow) exhaust system, that must be (my firm choice) as silent as possible. To be an happy driver, I do not have to make noise, for me, noise is pollution, and it just makes many “others” hating you, and having bad opinion about motoring sports. Lets keep this habit of making noise to babies or non grown adolescent, that still need to make noise to get attention.
And by the way, all Californian track drivers knows that the fantastic track of Laguna Seca has one very strict rule : NO MORE THAN 92 dB !!

This been said, who is making a very good high flow exhaust for Boxster S, with cat, that is as silent as possible ?? I would love to read from you about that.

Some photos from yesterday :

Ready to go :

By the way, Sunday was quite an "electric" day in Laguna Seca, with a lot of Tesla on track, (the Guys of the Tesla US Tour were here for a stop !), and, while seeing many electrical cars on track, I have even seen "THAT", as a paddock personal transportation device ! Well, after the cars, even the Californian Cow Boys are switching to plug-in horses !!

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 08-02-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:19 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Some good photos, copyright from Brian, at “CaliPhotography”, Sunday at Laguna Seca.
Feeling that the brand new LN Pro double row kit should need now some break in, I tried to get some splashes to lubricate it, ..or the “King of R1” in action, here in the Corkscrew :

About this ("easy") turn, as you are blind and cannot see the apex before entering on it, the trick is to point the right tree (and, remember well that one !!) as the "apex pointer", ..then, it is a piece of cake (After 20 or 30 laps, you do not even have to look at that tree ! )

Or, in what I personally feel being the most tricky turn of Laguna : Turn #11, that look like “peanuts” when you arrive into it, ..but, if you want to exit t#11 in a good line, on asphalt, you better had a good braking ..before it !
Anyway, I feel so happy to have PSS9 on each corner, see :

The PSS9 are not my best friends when driving from home to the track, ..but when arrived on destination, I love them big time.

Some more, from these great 3 days at Laguna Seca with Speed Ventures :

Exiting Turn #5, going up hill on a small straight line, ..right into the "Sound Check" area !
Very simple rule here : If >92dB then black flag

Seems that I would not pass the "broomstick test" !
My plan has two fold to solve this problem :
1) I will remove the OEM black seats (the pair) and install, as low as possible, a pair of Sparco buckets that I have "in stock".
Any of you interested in a pair of OEM black seats ? (Just pm me.)
2) I will install my BK bar, but want to find a solution to keep the L&R wind deflectors and center window. I think I will modify the top attachments.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 09-15-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:39 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to confess, I'm a bit jealous of you folks that are near Laguna-Seca. Beautiful track, one that I've always wanted to drive. But now my track days are behind me...

Speaking of, back in the day, the general rule of thumb was to change your brake fluid before an event. When I drove nearly every weekend, I'd let the fluid go for no more than two or three months before I'd bleed it. It's a lot cheaper than stuffing the car into a wall. Annual is fine for street use, but not for the track.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:21 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

YES, you are right, big time.
I was just over confident, buying a car from a SCCA guy, with new rotors, new pads, new wheels, new tires, ..I did not had the idea to ask about the brake fluid. Was just sure that no problem in that one !
..And yes, this is more than very easy to stuff a wall with bubbles in the brake fluid !

About age & track, ..make the count : 30 years of 911 and I had few other cars before my first 911, so, I'm not in my twenties, and I have a son that have a son ! Keep going to track ! I'm sure it is good for the health.

By the way, for your info, I'm away, but there are again a two days DE in Laguna Seca next week !
Check: "Speed Ventures", this is a great organisation.
Right now, ..the Rolex Monterrey week is on the place !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 08-29-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:04 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Does anybody here have installed the complete Fabspeed Boxster exhaust system ?
(Headers, primary cats, secondary cats, muffler and ECU mod.)
I would love to read comments about the "effects" of it !
Old 09-15-2014, 11:56 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Some news from the “King of R1” : I just changed the (OEM) Boxster seats against Sparco buckets. I think, beside a much better seating on track, I got some good gain of weight !
I had to adapt carefully the aluminum mounting plates, to center the seats and have on the driver seat, the correct mountings, i.e.: of both the original seat belts and a 4 points Schroth harness. (No way yet to use a 6 points, as my Sparco seats do not have thru holes in order to attach the “6 points” as they should be.
I do have some small finishing touches, but now, all seems to be on place.
At this point, the biggest problem is that these bucket seats are “fixed” (no pivoting), so the access to the front of the engine, via the “firewall door”, ..currently require to remove the seats ! No so fun.
I’m currently checking about a good and very sold hinge system that would enable to only remove the (rear) attachment of the seats (2 screws), in order to be able to pivot them manually.
(Removing the seat will mean also detaching the seat belt contacts, that enables the ECU to know that the seat belt have been fasten.)

Well, this was more work (DIY) than originally planned, but now, it is almost done.

Doe any of you have found an easier solution to pivot the bucket seats on a Boxster, in order to simplify the access to the engine via the firewall door ?

About the original Boxster black leather seats, any body interested on these ?
These are the black ones, and I would say that they should have between 55 to 60k miles, as the previous owner had them removed, for the time he used the car.
They are coming with the OEM rails, but no OEM seat belt attachment, as I keep these in order to use the OEM belt for the road drives.
I will take some photos and I will put them on sale on our “member to Member Classifieds”.

A photo of the day ..of these seats :

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 09-16-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

A beautiful two days on track, at Sonoma Raceway, very well organized by TrackMasters, thanks to Doug, Karen and all the Trackmasters team.
The "King of R1" did run very well, for 10 sessions of 25 minutes over these two days :

Photo, copyright Jake Meltzer, CaliPhotography, 2014

I did install the Schroth harness, using only 4 points (my Sparco seat do not have a pass through hole for the 5th and 6th points). Btw, in order to have the back points pulling on the harness with the right angle, I did install pull down cables, next the OEM 3 points location, (if you attach the harness on the OEM roll cage, the pull angle is kind of scary, as imo, way to high).

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-06-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:22 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Back to the first post of this topic, and.. yes, I’m not very proud of the following !!!
I bought this car with 55’830 “R1”.
..And now, 54 engine hours later, with *my driving*, I’m now at 65’114 “R1” !!
(Hopefully, I’m still at 4 “R2”.)

So, I was able to log almost 10’000 “R1” over 1’600 miles !
I remember about a late shift during the Autocross that I did, and I have to confess, that I did few late shift on tracks too. I do not think that any come form open road driving.
It is true that on these 1’600 miles, I probably have between 550 and 600 miles on tracks.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:33 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

About the installation of a 4 points harness, I faced the problem that the back points were in my opinion way to high, being attached on the OEM base of the rollbar humps.
You can see this “effect” on the photo below :

To correct this problem, I attached “pull down” cables, that have “rollers” to let the harness back attachments moving as freely as possible, and having the points of attachments in the seat fixations.
Note that these seat fixations are heavy duty aluminum brackets, where the OEM 3 points in attached on the inside, and were the 4 points lateral point are too.
..Yes, the aluminum “color” was disturbing me, so, I covered the external one in Alcantara !

About Alcantara, to have a decent color matching of the inside, I removed the NRG steering wheel, and put back on place the original steering wheel, after it has been padded and covered with Alcantara to, with white stitching, together the the stick shift and the e-brake.

From the above, if you have installed a 4 or 6 points harness, I have a question : How did you solve the problem of not having the “pulling points” to high (i.e.: attaching these to the OEM roll bar ?)

By the way, still about alcantara, when you touch the seat adjustment bar, ..it also “touch well”, as there is a little handle, done the same way !
..All of these, to have “nice contact” with the car !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-13-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: PIWIS reading, R1 and R2, then what ??