1999 Boxster radio dies when engine started

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1999 Boxster radio dies when engine started

Hi, I bought my mint condition 1999 Boxster a couple of months ago. I have a strange problem with the original radio. It works fine when the ignition switch is on ACC or at ON or at OFF but I loose it completely a second or two after I start the engine. It comes back when I stop the engine.
I tried to reset it with the code but useless. I also tried to change the ignition switch and same problem after.
I searched the net and forums and only found 2 guys with same problem but no solution.
Anyone have an idea??
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Got anything plugged into the cigarette lighter? A cell phone charger maybe? I've heard second hand an electrical load at startup can affect the car's stereo. Tech told me that was why once in a while my Turbo's radio would come on but just not make any sounds. I have a V1 and NAV unit powered off the car's cigarette lighter socket.

Yet I heard from another source this is a known problem and there is some kind of radio or instrument cluster controller software update.

Yet another possible contribution is the symptoms appeared more frequently when as it turned out in two cases the car's battery was going out and eventually died.

That's all I got. You replaced the ignition switch which would have been my first guess.

However, you might try pushing -- nothing too strong -- on the key as you start the engine to see if you can somehow affect the radio behavior when starting the engine.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:52 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank's for your help that's very kind of you.
Nothing plugged in the cigarette lighter. The radio does that every time I start the car. When the engine runs there is absolutely nothing working on the radio.
I found the identification of the wires at Pelican parts. I'll try to see what voltage is missing when the radio dies after starting.
I think it takes a special tool to remove the stereo ? Am I right?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:11 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!

so the radio turns off just during starting then comes back on, or it's off the whole time the engine is running?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Originally Posted by am
Nothing plugged in the cigarette lighter. The radio does that every time I start the car. When the engine runs there is absolutely nothing working on the radio.
I found the identification of the wires at Pelican parts. I'll try to see what voltage is missing when the radio dies after starting.

Special tool is actually set of flat metal keys that hold in a spring loaded stop on each side of the case. VW keys will work and can be had from fleabay fairly cheap. Once removed, you will have to enter the code for your radio when you replace it unless you're going after market. If it were me I'd want to know the origin of the problem. However, if it's not effecting any other function of the car, the easiest cheapest way to fix it might be to upgrade the radio and draw power from a different source for key on and constant on power.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by am
My 2nd hand knowledge is that it does require "special" tools to remove the radio in some MY cars but beyond that that's all I know. I've never had to remove the radio in my Boxster and the one time my new Cayman S required a radio R&R the tech had the thing out so quick I missed the process.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave H.
so the radio turns off just during starting then comes back on, or it's off the whole time the engine is running?
The radio is dead the time the engine turns.
When I stop the engine the radio comes back.

Terbiumactivated : to find the source of voltage I loose and to take another source is what I had in mind if I dont hear of THE solution
Old 10-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Macster
Race Director

Reads like an ignition switch.

You might try a test... Kill the engine by pulling say the fuel pump fuse. If the radio now comes on when the engine stops... you need a young priest and an old priest.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:02 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Reads like an ignition switch.

You might try a test... Kill the engine by pulling say the fuel pump fuse. If the radio now comes on when the engine stops... you need a young priest and an old priest.
I already changed the ignition switch and not better.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Netsrac67
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny I had the very same problem.

I was told it might be a grounding issue

Anyways, bought an aftermarket Radio and no more issues

Good luck though
Old 10-11-2013, 03:50 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

The only two things I hated about the 986 was the "always needs to be shut off every start up, retarded Audi heating control" and the awful, factory radio. That stereo had a mind of it's own and after owning it, I laughed at it needing a security code, any smart crook wouldn't bother.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Netsrac67
Funny I had the very same problem.

I was told it might be a grounding issue

Anyways, bought an aftermarket Radio and no more issues

Good luck though
Did you use the same wires?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:11 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Having the exact same problem on my '99. Apparently this is a known issue but I can't find a cause or fix.

My radio, for a month or two, would still intermittently turn on/off while driving. Odd ball events such as rolling windows down, turning the AC on, the engine revs dropping to idle, engine revs coming up from idle, etc, would cause the radio to randomly lose or regain power.

Now, radio only works when the engine is not running except turning the headlights on will give the radio power for an instant, and I mean less than a second, but then it's dead. Works 100% of the time with the key in the accessory position.

From the reading I've done... it's not the ignition switch or bad connections on the back of the head unit. I may buy another CDR220 and see what happens.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Netsrac67
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by am
Did you use the same wires?
Had a local shop do it, think he had a bit of a problem more with the antenna though, was not getting reception but he fixed that. Had not problems with new radio ever going off by itself

Yes he used same wires

Last edited by Netsrac67; 10-15-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank's to all for the help. I got no direct solution fo the problem but I know that I'll need to take out the radio and check the wires and probably take voltage elsewhere or change the radio. It will go to next summer cause the car went in storage for the winter

Quick Reply: 1999 Boxster radio dies when engine started