Sponsored by:

unpowered windows 986

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Jackg86
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unpowered windows 986

I've been trying to troubleshoot why neither of my power window switches work. It's a 2001 Boxster S. The windows drop the quarter inch when the door handle s pulled so the motors are getting juice through that circuit and are working. They don't go down when the top s unlocked, though. I've removed the center console and found frayed wires to the ashtray and console lighting and sheathed them with heat shrink tubes. Power window wiring looked undamaged. Double checked all associated fuses. Changed out the 30 amp D1 just n case. Even checked the immobilizer fuse. Front trunk does not respond to switch or signal from key. Removed panel at door sill and switch wiring was not damaged. Back trunk works normally. Found some evidence of rodent damage (center console lighting wiring) but followed windows wiring harness to firewall and didn't notice any damage.
Is there a relay involved in this circuit. Can't find any reference to it in the Bentley manual or any on line forum. Please help! It scares me think I might have to take this to the dealer but I've run out of ideas. I'm gong out now to check the voltage at the switch but it was OK the last time I checked t. Grasping at straws.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:46 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Did you check the microswitch that senses the position of the cab top locking handle? It's a known failure item.

Quick Reply: unpowered windows 986