intermittent no crank/no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default intermittent no crank/no start

It's happened twice now. once, immediately after i stalled it at a light the one after i stalled it, it took a minute or to until i could fire it up again, the second time, it was more of a delay before the starter fired. basically, all electronics come on, dash lights, all good. I use a trickle charger when not driving so I assume the battery is fine, especially considering after a while, it started normally without a jump.

the delay that happened today, I'm leaning towards a clutch interlock switch. basically turned the key, nothing happened, with key still turned, pushed my foot further down, and it fired. I assume I'm on the right path?
Old 09-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Yes. The clutch interlock switch is likely the problem. It is inexpensive and easy to replace. This is one symptom I'd throw a new part at.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Happened again today. Kicked the clutch in and out a few times and it fired up. New switch should arrive Wednesday or Thursday
Old 09-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Just a heads up but even after the new switch is installed the symptom might appear again. I talked this over with the tech and he suggested bending the switch bracket to improve the contact between the clutch pedal arm and the switch lever.

Now I say bend but there may be a screw adjustment. I never bothered to do this. But the idea is after so many uses the pedal assembly might get a bit of play and not contact the switch fully. Do not go overboard with the adjustment, if you do this at all.

LIke I said above, I didn't mess with the bracket or any adjustment, and after some initial though very infrequent no start no crank events I can't recall the last time this happened.

Also, it might be due to sloppy clutch pedal work on my part for I do recall that as soon as the symptom appears I turn the key off and then release and depress the clutch pedal again and the engine cranks and fires just fine. That's not a sign the adjustment is out. That's a sign I'm just not pushing the clutch pedal down far enough.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Such an easy job, replaced in 10 minutes, car starts beautifully

Quick Reply: intermittent no crank/no start