Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Codes. poor idle ..

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:58 PM
jloby18
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this in another thread::: What you feel vis a vis the engine and its performance may be normal given the situation.

The DME will want to activate VarioCam at low rpms. Roughly I think it wants to kick in at around 1400 rpms. Thus then what you may have been feeling when operating the engine in 4th gear at lower speeds is how the engine feels sans a fully functioning VarioCam system.

I noticed that if i roll on the throttle slow, when i hit right around 1400 RPM'S the engine seems to kick down or idle becomes rough. Could this be a sign that the VarioCam is not working as it should?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jloby18
Ok so replaced the Camshaft sensor, now im getting P1319, P1313, P1314, P1315, P0300, P0341, P0301, P0302, P0303. Looks like i went backwards. Going to get a Code reader tomorrow. Dont want to run the risk of having to drive the car down the road the AutoZone until i have the issues fixed. I took the AOS out and replaced the Cam sensor on bank one. Going to pull the AOS and just replace the whole unit. Looking into vac leaks also.
The P191X error codes are misfires emissions relevant. The coils must be securely connected to their respective spark plug but also properly connected at their wiring harness connector.

The other possibility is the camshaft sensor is not installed correctly. Since this is the last thing you touched, that has to be the first thing suspected.

The misfires do not point to an intake air leak.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jloby18
Moved all Coil packs from Bank 1 to bank 2, issue is still the same. I still have misfire codes popping up on bank 1. So looks like Coil packs are all ok.

While i was down there i saw some oil dripping out of what i think is the solenoid. Should i change out the solenoid from bank 1 to bank 2? Is it as easy as pulling out the 2 bolts pulling out the solenoid and making the change?
From what I recall from when the VarioCam solenoid was replaced in my 02 the solenoid can't be easily changed. The camshaft cover has to come off and that's a big job to get off and a bigger one to get on again.

Unless the diagnosis is the VarioCam solenoid/actuator (and right now it is not the diagnosis) I'd leave this alone. An oil leak is not causing the engine to misfire and act up and throw the codes it is throwing. Save oil leak fixing for later.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:12 PM
jloby18
Intermediate

Ok ill take a look at the camshaft sensor, I would also like to rule out a defective connection between the camshaft sensor and the DME. Do you know what the pin outs on the DME for the sensor are? I have been looking around, have not found them yet.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Years ago there were digital copies of the Boxster factory manual on line. UK site I think had them. They had the wiring schematic but it was hard to read/make out and I'm not sure it was complete.

I have a paper copy of the later model Boxster wiring diagram. But I do not know how close this is to the earlier model wiring.

A friendly Porsche tech might print the applicable factory manual pages for you if you ask.

There might be some diagrams already posted -- I vaguely recall this has come up in the past but do not recall if it came down to someone posting the wiring diagrams.

Oh, a Google search "porsche boxster factory service manual" turned up some interesting hits and some examples offered for sale. eBay to name one has someone selling these.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:55 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try this
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
DamianZ (06-26-2023)
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

That's nice. And on one page. The copies I have are I think divided up into quarters.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:54 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
That's nice. And on one page. The copies I have are I think divided up into quarters.
photoshop works wonders! had to print this out on a giant sheet when i wired in my AFC.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 AM
jloby18
Intermediate

Thank you tons sir.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:05 AM
jloby18
Intermediate

After seeing the metal in the bottom on the Oil filter housing i went ahead and put a new filter in and changed the oil.

Drove around block, pulled filter. Im seeing some shavings in the filter. Going to put the Boxster on hold and get my 951 back on the RD. After i get the turbo running im going to pull the engine and see how bad it is. If it turns out to be a big deal im going to pick up a 3.4L my buddy has. Its a 2002 i think. What to see about dropping it in the Boxster.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:06 AM
jloby18
Intermediate

Drove around block, pulled filter. Im seeing some shavings in the filter. Going to put the Boxster on hold and get my 951 back on the RD. After i get the 951 running im going to pull the Boxsters engine and see how bad it is. If it turns out to be a big deal im going to pick up a 3.4L my buddy has. Its a 2002 i think. What to see about dropping it in the Boxster.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 PM
jloby18
Intermediate

Okay I went all out replace the IMS bearing the clutch put in IMS guardian everything went fine but the misfiring is still going on Bank One
Old 01-09-2014, 07:03 PM
jloby18
Intermediate

Now I'm wondering if the chain tensioner is gone bad or the guides are worn down. The funny thing is when I first started the carpet Idol beautifully I ran it down the road it started misfiring. I'm getting the same codes I was getting before misfiring on banks 1 1 cylinder 1 2 & 3 and a camshaft positioning sensor code
Old 01-09-2014, 07:04 PM
jloby18
Intermediate

I noticed when I pulled the chain tensioner out of the bank 1 it seems to be sticking a little bit. Could the tensioner going bad cause misfiring.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

My info on tensioner issues is slim. Thankfully I have not had any direct experience with these with my Boxster.

All I can offer is what I have picked up: If the tensioner is bad generally there is noise, chain slapping, and the cam timing can be affected. If the timing is bad enough this can result in misfires.

I note you are at the tensioners yet IIRC from earlier posts there was some strong suspicion regarding the VarioCam solenoid and actuator. I believe you replaced one solenoid. However, often I'm told the actuator is bad too.

Also, I read where you replaced the IMS bearing. Did the old bearing show any signs of pending failure? If the bearing was starting to fail, if it was at the shedding metal stage this can contaminate the engine and all sorts of issues can arise: Lifters act up, the VarioCam system doesn't work right, chain tensioners hanging up, to name a few.

If you have the tensioner out I'd think replacing it would be advisable rather than trying to reuse the old one. Also, you have to be sure you do not mess up the timing or allow the timing to get out with a chain slipping a tooth.

If you find the tensioner contaminated with fine metal swarf this can be from the IMS bearing and the engine almost certainly has to be removed and torn down. Even then it is unlikely to be a viable rebuild candidate. (I've talked to one Porsche tech about 996 engines with IMS bearing failures and he said if there was any metal swarf on the clean side of the oil system Porsche did not permit any under warranty rebuilding. He checked the oil scavenge pumps among other things looking for anything that could render the engine non-rebuildable.)

As for the chain rails, if the chain rails were developing problems I think you'd see bits of this material -- hard composite plastic a brown caramel or dark brown, almost black caramel color -- in the oil filter housing oil and filter element.

Quick Reply: Boxster Codes. poor idle ..