Sponsored by:

GT3 Control Arm Shims

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Rustang Cobra
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Control Arm Shims

I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find any information on which shims I should buy when I pick up front GT3 control arms for my 2003 Boxster 2.7L

I'm thinking about just buying a 16mm shim per side and using the top strut mount to max out to what I hope will be around -2.0 of front camber.

Has anyone with a Boxster had any experience with which shims are best to purchase? Should I buy a 16mm and an additional 3 or 4mm shim?

Thanks,
RC
Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustang Cobra
I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find any information on which shims I should buy when I pick up front GT3 control arms for my 2003 Boxster 2.7L

I'm thinking about just buying a 16mm shim per side and using the top strut mount to max out to what I hope will be around -2.0 of front camber.

Has anyone with a Boxster had any experience with which shims are best to purchase? Should I buy a 16mm and an additional 3 or 4mm shim?

Thanks,
RC
Tarett control arm kits come with shims. See link.

http://www.tarett.com/items/boxster~...kit-detail.htm

Not sure how thick they are or how many are needed.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

If you take your car to an alignment shop that regularly services GT3's, they should have a selection of shims they will include in the alignment service - check with them first. If you have to buy your own, I would buy a variety of shims, as you never know what you will really need. IMHO, -2 degrees is generally not enough to optimize the front tire contact patch, but it depends a lot on what tires and front roll stiffness you are using. Get a pyrometer and test.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

If you get the porsche gt3 LCAs as a kit from Suncoast they include 4@1mm, 2@2mm,2@3mm. That works out to just 7mm per side. Can't recall where I saw it but have seen an estimate of 9mm needed for -1deg. Again, not sure about that. Extra shims are pretty expensive from Porsche. I bought 2 additional 7mm shims, so I can get a total of 14mm per side. I understand for a lowered suspension less would be required but not sure how much. My car (CR) goes in to the shop in a few weeks for installation so will see what I can get. Targeting about -2 deg. If I get less, will try that for a few track days and then go from there.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:48 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nto done these yet, buty bear in mind that every car is different and no one can tell you exactly what you need. So the only real answer is "a variety" or "align at a porsche race shop and let them figure it out"

Euro-tire in NJ simply says " we have abox of them"

Grant
Old 08-28-2013, 12:31 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15mm of shim each side is the max you can run and still get full engagement of the nuts. This will also give you about -3 degrees of camber.

Quick Reply: GT3 Control Arm Shims