Sponsored by:

Engine squeal noise under load solved

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 AM
spex
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Engine squeal noise under load solved

I know this has been mentioned on this forum and a few others, but wanted to reiterate so this annoynance does not happen to others.

My 99 Boxster was fine when cold, but after driving and under load in any gear (especially a gear too high), the engine would squeal like a bad belt. Changed the belt and also ran without the belt and it still squealed form passenger engine area. Thought is was my cluth bearing, maybe my IMS, maybe my AOS. Changed the AOS since I have 70k on the car and it was the least expensive of the three. That was a real fun DIY job to say the least! I fired it up and drove it with great hope and a smile only to be severely disappointed with the squeal happening about 10 minutes after warm-up.

I feverishly started searching forums and found others with a similar squeal noise. So the other night I checked the spark plugs for correct torque. Guess what, 1 plug was really loose and another on the same bank was only a little tighter than hand tightened. By the way, also had a slight ticking noise (same bank) and checked the stainless header bolts and sure enough one was not torqued correctly. Seems like warp speed is causing things to unbolt left and right from my car!

After starting it up, I drove it in a last ditch hope not to go see the dealer and presto! Both the squeal noise and the ticking sound were gone.

Anyways, just passing this tid-bit along to potentially save someone else's sanity!

Steve
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try using more warp, that usually works
Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or more cowbell, it's tough to hear any problematic noises over a cowbell.

Quick Reply: Engine squeal noise under load solved