Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS Class Action Suit 2001 through 2005 owners win Update Mar 12

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM
507fan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi beechbum, I unfortunately also recently suffered 'catastrophic engine failure' on an M96 engine outside of the "10 year usable life". As mine was not an IMS-related issue, I cannot provide guidance as to legal recourse. However, I can share what I learned in my exhaustive search for options. IMHO the best available option is to check out flat6innovations.com and then contact them regarding an engine reconstruction. Other options may leave you vulnerable to other known M96 issues. (no affiliation other than being a potential / future customer)
Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM
streaydog
Advanced

What a mess indeed. I've taken my car there before and suprised they didn't offer you goodwill. What do you mean that they misdiagnosed your car as Ims failure? I know many have opted out of the settlement and is probably too late for you if you haven't done so already.

Sorry to hear about your car. Can only imagine how pissed you are. I do recall there being a sale on refurbished engines from Suncoast. If your interested in repairing at all.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 PM
scottish007
5th Gear

Originally Posted by beechbum
What a mess. On October 7, 2013 my 2002 C2 lost power on the highway & sputtered to a stop after I managed to exit. I had it carried to Porsche of Plano where they misdiagnosed it. After more than a week they said it was an IMS failure & submitted it to PCNA for assistance. They weren't clear but said it was denied. I discovered because it is 11 years old (past the 10 year mark) it is excluded form the settlement. The lady handling claims at PCNA coldly said they would not assist & their decision was final. This is my fourth Porsche. I've bought them since 1980. This one was purchased from Park Place Porsche in 2003 when it was one year old. It is a CPO with 63,000 miles & a history of dealership service. It has been driven regularly, never seen the track & not been abused. Dealer says the engine is $22,000 & install is $2800. Looks like I'm screwed. I had enjoyed a love affair with these cars most of my life. I feel cheated because they hid this issue & now won't do anything. Sure, it's only business. Unless something changes I'll be selling this one & my track 911 SC. Also everyone I meet will hear my story for whatever good that does. A very sad day. Does anyone know of other avenues to pursue? Thanks ~
Thanks for sharing your story. Saying that your situation sucks in an understatement. Best of luck figuring out your next move.

I'm in the market, but the IMS issue is making me very wary. I know that it is just one of the issues to be aware of, but it's a big one!

Again, best of luck...
Old 10-19-2013, 06:58 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Acura produced a faulty transmission. They did a recall. The recall consisted of an inspection and they did nothing if they inspected the transmission and found it good. They extended the warranty on the trans to 70k miles. When mine failed at about 10 years and 72k miles in the manner predicted by the defect and despite being declared one of the good ones, Acura offered me nothing. I went to the local transmission shop and had them rebuild mine for half what the dealer wanted.

Porsche isn't the only one to determine your value as a customer and weight the cost of customer satisfaction and its impact on this quarter's profits.

So I sold my 2 Honda products. Didn't even consider them when replacing.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 PM
beechbum
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies & sympathy. I'll try Suncoast & flat6innovations. Porsche of Plano (formerly Broadwalk Porsche) first told me my problem was a hall (?) sensor. They replaced that & discovered they were mistaken. It took several days to get the part. Then the technician was out. Eleven days & $500 later they told me it was IMS. The service writer didn't know much about it though he had seen more than a few so I got on the internet. Today I met with the service manager & the assistant service manager at Park Place Porsche. Both were very kind though maybe a little disappointed I went to their competitor first. The assistant service manager, Justin, was knowledgable but told me I'm SOL. He said now that Porsche has the tentative settlement he doesn't see them going outside the lines. An interesting side note: he said the Porsche solution for those who want to avoid this problem requires replacement of the entire shaft which is a complete engine teardown involving about 70 hours of labor. No wonder Porsche avoided a recall. It would likely bankrupt them. Salvage motors start at $8500 + $1500-$2000 to install. Porsche is still my favorite car. I was considering a new C4. My plan is to write the President of PCNA asking for assistance. If that doesn't help then I'll withdraw from the Class Action Suit & see if there are other remedies thru the legal system. If that doesn't work then I'll repair this one, sell it, sell my 911 SC & switch to another brand. I feel very cheated that PCNA did not accept responsible for this blatant mistake on their part.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 PM
507fan
Track Day

Any response from the pres of the pcna?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Compare with Tesla's recent letter to all its customers in response to the report of 3 battery fires all caused by accidents with no serious injuries.

They asked IIHS to investigate.

Said they would apply any fix to all cars and pay for it.

And further make anyone who had a fire even from an accident whole.

(The also pointed out that battery powered cars had fires 4-5 times less than gas powered cars.)

Their reasoning was either this isn't a problem and to gain customer confidence and goodwill will cost us a trivial amount or it is a big problem and we are responsible to fix it.

Such concern that their car owners don't pay high risk auto insurance premiums or suffer unusual depreciation due to potential customer concerns.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:08 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At least this class action ACTUALLY came to some form of fruition - many times nothing is done and the case fades away...
Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 AM
mr2by4
7th Gear

Anybody have any idea why my 2001 Boxster S has an excluded vin? I had engine failure at @82k miles, symptoms consistent with IMS failure. Replaced the motor and sold the car.
VIN WPOCB29811U660196
Old 12-19-2013, 08:47 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, I understand the nexus you are drawing between Honda and Porsche. I'm willing to bet the Honda was half the price. My dad was way into Saab cars. The early ones, 9000 turbos had the best smelling leather in the car world. Anyhow, they broke down a lot, sometimes major parts like entire cooling systems, Saab always ate the cost. Now one can argue that contributed to their ultimate fate, since my dad bought three more, I would argue it instilled loyalty and likely solidified the customer base. When Saab returns it's that core of people that will relaunch it's acceptance, bean counters have a hard time understanding this metric. I saw people put their occupations on the line to retain our company's technology, I've never seen that caliber of loyalty since. I truly wish the P car dealership subscribed to the same idioms. I'd rather let them do things on my car but not when the cost is substantially higher than simply doing the work carefully myself. Busy mechanics working at a lower profit are still busy, paying guys who are idle looking for big score profits is actually the dumb business model. The money an honest dealer could have made simply building M96 engines when times were slow and slapping them into these cars would have added up to some serious profits and goodwill.

Quick Reply: IMS Class Action Suit 2001 through 2005 owners win Update Mar 12