Sponsored by:

Instrument cluster LCD issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Instrument cluster LCD issue

Went to pick up my 2000 Boxster S from the shop.

I was greeted with a LCD display that seems to have broken.

It is almost as if its two parts -- the display works fine
but there seems to be another LCD screen in the foreground.
I can see it disfigured even with the display off and no background light.

Figures, I am prepping the car to be sold as I have bought a Cayenne
as my daily driver.

I have instrument cluster from a 2001 Boxster S, so I have a parts source.

So, what do I need to do to fix this?

Also whats the trick in removing the right hand most connector -- figured out
the other three -- part didn't want to break the last one (the one behind the emergency switch)

thanks,

Mike
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To remove the connector behind the emergency switch you first gently pry out the switch (the black oval one with the triangle on it that you push to turn on the flashers). Turn on the emergency flashers first as it makes it easier to pry out. Then use two samll screwdrivers to gently pry on the two tabs (on the left and right side) of the white part of the switch (with the light bulb in the middle). I believe that only one tab engages but pry both inward and wiggle back and forth to pull out the switch. The connector on the back side of the dash needs to be slid upward out of it's retaining clip before removing the instrument cluster.

I hope that makes sense. It would be clearer if I had pics but I don't. I can take some if you need.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Understood -- thx.

still need to figure out what to do with the display once I have the cluster out.

m
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I'm pretty sure the clusters changed in 2001. Don't know what problems you will run into because of the change other than one of the many things I prefer about 2000 is the easier to see digital MPH readout.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Well -- looks like it acts like trapped moister in the display.

Heating it consolidated it -- unfortunately more heat destroyed it.

hmmmm -- plan B.

mike
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 PM
KevinH2000
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike,

I'm having the same problem with a Carrera display that I'm swapping into my 2000 Boxster. According to all the folks I've talked to, VDO (the manufacturer of the Porsche clusters) does not sell the lcds.

I haven't been able to find anyone who will just swap the lcd from a cluster that has a different defect to replace the bad one. The lcd connector is soldered to the circuit board and it sounds like they don't want to touch it because they don't want the liability if they cannot fix it. I have attached a picture of the lcd showing how it soldered to the circuit board.

You can read about my project here: http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...auge-swap.html You can see that my Carrera cluster has a bad clock/oil gauge lcd, but a good center lcd.

What I am planning to do is swap my Boxster circuit board (it has 3 good lcds) with the one from the Carrera. I have the equipment on order to reprogram the Boxster cluster so that it will operate the Carrera gauges. When I'm done (and here's hoping it all works) have the Carrera circuit board so that you can salvage the center lcd. I'm about a week away from knowing whether my project will be successful. You will need to find someone in our area who can do the soldering, so that may not be a viable option.

A better alternative may be to find a cluster with three good lcds and maybe some cosmetic issues such as cracked or scratched lenses. I could help you with reprogramming that cluster so that it will work with your Boxster S gauges. Like I said, I'll know in about a week whether I'll be successful.

Byprodriver is correct that the Boxster gauges changed in 2001. You can tell by the connectors on the back (2000 and earlier had blue, white and black connectors) or by the shape of the lcds on the front.
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Mullerrodolfo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinH2000
Mike,

I'm having the same problem with a Carrera display that I'm swapping into my 2000 Boxster. According to all the folks I've talked to, VDO (the manufacturer of the Porsche clusters) does not sell the lcds.

I haven't been able to find anyone who will just swap the lcd from a cluster that has a different defect to replace the bad one. The lcd connector is soldered to the circuit board and it sounds like they don't want to touch it because they don't want the liability if they cannot fix it. I have attached a picture of the lcd showing how it soldered to the circuit board.

You can read about my project here: http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...auge-swap.html You can see that my Carrera cluster has a bad clock/oil gauge lcd, but a good center lcd.

What I am planning to do is swap my Boxster circuit board (it has 3 good lcds) with the one from the Carrera. I have the equipment on order to reprogram the Boxster cluster so that it will operate the Carrera gauges. When I'm done (and here's hoping it all works) have the Carrera circuit board so that you can salvage the center lcd. I'm about a week away from knowing whether my project will be successful. You will need to find someone in our area who can do the soldering, so that may not be a viable option.

A better alternative may be to find a cluster with three good lcds and maybe some cosmetic issues such as cracked or scratched lenses. I could help you with reprogramming that cluster so that it will work with your Boxster S gauges. Like I said, I'll know in about a week whether I'll be successful.

Byprodriver is correct that the Boxster gauges changed in 2001. You can tell by the connectors on the back (2000 and earlier had blue, white and black connectors) or by the shape of the lcds on the front.
How do I reprogram the cluster? I had my boxster cluster smashed by my surfboard and bought one on Ebay but it's a cayman cluster so the top it's not working.

Thanks in advance,
Rodolfo.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster LCD issue