At my wits end with Boxster creaks and squeeks - need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 11:11 PM
spessx
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts
Default At my wits end with Boxster creaks and squeeks - need suggestions

Hi all

So my 2001 Boxster base 2.7 with 130k miles on it has been creaking since we got it. Mostly from the back of the car but a little from the front end somewhere as well. At this point, I've literally replaced every suspension part on the car. Here's what's been done suspension wise:

New stock bilstein struts at all 4 corners
New shock mounts, strut bearings at all 4 corners (bearings just in front, lol)
New bump stops all 4 corners
New Lower control arms and bushings all 4 corners
New trailing arms and bushings all 4 corners
New end links and sway bar bushings
New transmission and motor mounts although I was only able to replace one of the motor mounts - the other just wouldn't fit for some reason.

Most recently, jacked up the car, loosened up the rear LCA's and trailing arms and sprayed them all really heavily with silicon spray that I saw someone else recommend on youtube. I lowered the car to ride height and retorq'd the bolts. Still super squeeky.

It starts off quiet for maybe 60 seconds and then movements at random trigger the squeek. It's loud enough that people on the street can hear it and comment on it.

What am I missing?

Could the one old motor mount be causing the issue? I could try replacing the remaining mount.

Would love to hear some suggestions.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:35 PM
mistertate
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Double check the torque spec on the front diagonal control arm “corner pieces”. There are 2 torque specs, one for the bolts into the aluminum subframe and then another higher spec for the same size bolt going into the steel body.
I made the mistake of using the lower spec for both when I replaced the front ARB. Had squeaks for weeks before I figured out what I had done.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:52 PM
spessx
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mistertate
Double check the torque spec on the front diagonal control arm “corner pieces”. There are 2 torque specs, one for the bolts into the aluminum subframe and then another higher spec for the same size bolt going into the steel body.
I made the mistake of using the lower spec for both when I replaced the front ARB. Had squeaks for weeks before I figured out what I had done.
Thank you for responding.

So the diagonal arm that goes into the body right behind the door? Re-torque those?

Also, I originally torqued them with the car lifted off the ground. I'm seeing people recommend torquing with the car at ride height.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:21 PM
mistertate
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Any suspension part with a rubber bushing should be torqued at ride height.
I was referring to the front, the bolts that go through 8:

Quick Reply: At my wits end with Boxster creaks and squeeks - need suggestions