Yes my IMS failed
13.73%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

IMS poll

Old 12-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a '99 986. bought it at 80k+/-....
had a water pump and clutch going south on me at 90k.
ims bearing good but replaced it since the clutch was down to the rivets...
the bearing was actually good. but why not change at this point?

tim
Old 12-31-2015, 11:01 PM
Por356c
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMS Replacement

Hi - 3rd owner of 02 Boxster. The 2nd owner had the LN kit installed at 40k just before I bought it. Nice to have the peice of mind.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:50 AM
TristanCBR
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001 Boxster S, 92K no known IMS replacement or issues.

Last edited by TristanCBR; 02-29-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Originally Posted by TristanCBR
2001 Boxster S, 92K no know IMS replacement or issues.

I kind of felt that way too. if I hadn't had to do a clutch job, I may have just gone my merry way...however, I sleep better at night and I make a lot of road trips to places where no one has ever heard of a "porch"...
Old 03-01-2016, 09:29 AM
TristanCBR
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tim Lawton
I kind of felt that way too. if I hadn't had to do a clutch job, I may have just gone my merry way...however, I sleep better at night and I make a lot of road trips to places where no one has ever heard of a "porch"...
Yeah, if I had to pull the engine or trans for any reason, I'd knock the other stuff out too as "might as wells"
Old 03-06-2016, 11:22 PM
arrakis
1st Gear

Replaced IMS as preventative maintenance on my '03 Boxster S at 45,709 miles. As well as rear main seal (was leaking), water pump, clutch, spark plugs and belt.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:56 PM
mueber
Track Day

Default Having it done now

Mine's a 2000 Boxster S with 43,000 miles. It hasn't failed. I'm having in done during the upcoming week along with a clutch replacement by a garage I've used for years.

The technician recommends the Porsche factory IMS upgrade kit. He is assured by Porsche I will have no problems with it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 04-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by mueber
Mine's a 2000 Boxster S with 43,000 miles. It hasn't failed. I'm having in done during the upcoming week along with a clutch replacement by a garage I've used for years.

The technician recommends the Porsche factory IMS upgrade kit. He is assured by Porsche I will have no problems with it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
No such product exists!! There's never been a factory Porsche IMS retrofit kit. No part number for an IMS bearing exists, only a complete IMS shaft assembly. This is well known fact.

This technician is clearly out of touch, and has no idea about this issue, and the available products to address it.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2016, 03:02 PM
mueber
Track Day

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
No such product exists!! There's never been a factory Porsche IMS retrofit kit. No part number for an IMS bearing exists, only a complete IMS shaft assembly. This is well known fact.

This technician is clearly out of touch, and has no idea about this issue, and the available products to address it.
Has anyone had their IMS service done by a dealer? If so, what did the do, and what products did they use?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Has anyone had their IMS service done by a dealer? If so, what did the do, and what products did they use?

Thanks,
Mark
Dealers have been using genuine LN Engineering retrofit products since 2008. Back then they'd make the car owner buy the retrofit kit, today lots of dealers stock the parts.

BUT not a single dealer in the world is an IMS Solution Certified Installer.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:30 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks,
Mark
The dealer here has done many. In fact they welcome you to bring them the bearing of your choice or they will supply an LN bearing but they confirmed Porsche does not supply a stand alone bearing, only the entire shaft assembly which will require an engine disassembly to install. Prohibitively expensive and kind of counterintuitive to install the same bearing that they are removing.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:55 AM
mueber
Track Day

Originally Posted by paulofto
The dealer here has done many. In fact they welcome you to bring them the bearing of your choice or they will supply an LN bearing but they confirmed Porsche does not supply a stand alone bearing, only the entire shaft assembly which will require an engine disassembly to install. Prohibitively expensive and kind of counterintuitive to install the same bearing that they are removing.
I just received an email from the local dealer confirming the LN Engineering bearing, and based upon my mechanic's quote, I suspect his parts supplier is providing the shaft assembly. I just called them to cancel the appointment to do the job.

Thanks again, everyone.

Last edited by mueber; 05-02-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-13-2016, 03:58 PM
mueber
Track Day

It's in the shop and being done at a much lesser price. Soon you can add me to the list of those who have not had a failure but have had it done.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:56 PM
mjberning
Cruisin'

Default 2002 Porsche 996 with 28000 miles

No IMS failure yet on this 14 year old car

Oil changed 4 times a year regardless of miles driven. I like to drive the vehicle at 3000 RPM and rarely use 6th gear unless Im on an open road

Will get IMS updated when I do the clutch

Still pondering the options

1) IMS solution is too expensive for the parts you get. Many repair shops says that its a waste of money given the low rate of failures and the other options out there that make that low rate of failure even lower.

Id rather get one of the below and also change water pump and solve more engine issues than just IMS. The LNE company makes really good products but is starting to get P996 owners to fetishize the IMS bearing over all other maintenance items. Best to get the most engine protection for the money.

a) LNE Single Row Pro sold on Partsgeek for around $600. The double row should last more than the 75000 mile service interval if its better than OEM and I maintain the vehicle and drive it like I have been.
b) Vertex roller Bearing with oil feed which is supposedly a permanent fix and sells for $450 on Ebay. No known failures reported on the internet and it meets the requirements for how I drive and change my fluids.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:15 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

I had my IMS and clutch done at 94000 miles. The bearing was still good. Do I sleep better at night??? YES.....

I also had to do my water pump at some point after that. Actually, I have spent more money on rebuilding the rear suspension than anything else.....

a 14 year old car with only 28000 miles??? Jeebus, do like I do and drive the firkin car every day. It'll last longer....

Tim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMS poll