Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change - Too Good To Be True?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change - Too Good To Be True?

Quick question about oil changes. I was about to go through the process of doing it myself/finding a place to do it when I found a mechanic will to do the change with the oil for ~$100 (I have a 99 Porsche Boxster).

This is the ad from Kijiji:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ271396007

I was looking to buy that oil and just figured I'd check Kijiji to see if anyone is selling some off. As it turns out, these guys have lots and do the change for a reasonable cost.

In my view, the labor on any oil change - especially on this Boxster - shouldn't be more than $40, so maybe around $100 is reasonable. Obviously, most mechanics will charge at least an hour and the official Porsche dealer will charge significantly more. However, I can't really see the oil being less than $100 (I believe I need about 9.5 liters).

Is this too good to be true? Are they recycling oil or something like that? It was a rough price and he said it might be $110 or $120 depending on how much oil it requires exactly, but is this a deal or is this a red flag?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what oil prices are like up there, but it's not too terribly unusual to see places doing oil changes for at or below the cost of materials here in the States. Do they have a cartridge for the filter that isn't a crappy STP product though? The one I bought had terrible glue overrun and didn't fit right; that's what I'd be most concerned about.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Don't count on it being any fancy oil. They are just as likely to use 5w-30 from a drum as anything else.

Right now, I can say the high miles oil I'm using has eliminated start-up smoke. Look for that, hi-miles oil.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bartender
Quick question about oil changes. I was about to go through the process of doing it myself/finding a place to do it when I found a mechanic will to do the change with the oil for ~$100 (I have a 99 Porsche Boxster).

This is the ad from Kijiji:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ271396007

I was looking to buy that oil and just figured I'd check Kijiji to see if anyone is selling some off. As it turns out, these guys have lots and do the change for a reasonable cost.

In my view, the labor on any oil change - especially on this Boxster - shouldn't be more than $40, so maybe around $100 is reasonable. Obviously, most mechanics will charge at least an hour and the official Porsche dealer will charge significantly more. However, I can't really see the oil being less than $100 (I believe I need about 9.5 liters).

Is this too good to be true? Are they recycling oil or something like that? It was a rough price and he said it might be $110 or $120 depending on how much oil it requires exactly, but is this a deal or is this a red flag?
Based on my experience with just one quickie lube joint not only is the ad a red flag, it is a police car siren, it is an air raid warning horn, and it is the opening notes of the last trump, all rolled into one.

The only time I had the oil changed in any of my Porsches (the Boxster) at a lube joint the tech buggered the oil drain plug's tool bit hole. But only after I showed the tech where the engine was and about everything else. I guess I should have shown him how to use the oil drain plug wrench...

After I had the Boxster serviced but before I knew about the oil drain plug I had my 06 GTO's oil changed there and had to almost physically restrain the tech from over tightening the GTO's drain plug to some ungodly high setting the reason he gave me was corporate specified all drain plugs are to be tightened down to IIRC 50 ft lbs regardless of what the automaker specified, and I have my car's factory manual with me with the torque setting highlighted.

Read the fine print...over 5 liters you pay $9.99/per extra liter so that's $58.99 + ( 5 * $9.99 ) = $98.99 plus tax plus waste disposal fees plus "misc", etc.

(Yes, "5" because I'm sure they'll want to "round up".)

The buggered drain plug, the stripped sump pan, the over filled engine filled with the wrong oil, and chances are the tech will want to top up all the vital fluids and use the wrong or incompatible ones (my dad's Suburban, a Suburban for crying out loud there's about a zillion of them around and they all get serviced at this places...) had to have its brake system replaced after a quickie lube tech put oil in the brake fluid reservoir), all these come for free, free that is until you have to pay to have these addressed.

Might as well add that if you think an oil change is a $40 labor job you're woefully misinformed about what an oil change involves.

During an oil/filter service -- at a dealer though not at some blankity blank lube joint -- my cars get inspected top to bottom, side to side for any signs of problems. More than once I've had a nail in a tire spotted. The tech checks the tire pressures and measures tire wear, checks brake wear, blows the leaves/trash out of the radiator ducts, and road tests the car for a mile or so. Then the car gets a nice wash. Pretty much after the oil's changed I know the car is road worthy and no issues are present, or if they are I know about them.

Ask for all of the above for $40 and see what you get.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

Ok got ya. Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure why I didn't think of it, but I can just buy two jugs of the oil for ~$90-$100, get my mechanic to do the job and buy the right filter, and I'm looking at about $150. Filter is what, like $20?

I guess no need to risk it with some lube guy when I can get roughly the same price from my mechanic.

How is it that some mechanics get up to $225-$250 for a Porsche oil change then?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 AM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Mobil 1 only

http://www.986faq.com/2-0/default.asp#011
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is hard to screw up an oil change but it does happen. some fill too much of oil and flood the intake. some strip the plug and panel threads.

oil change is a good opportunity to have the car inspected for leaks, belt wear, brake wear etc. with modern porsches running on higher service intervals, taking your car to a mechanic to inspect the car once a year is important. thus, if you only change oil once a year, make sure it's done by a mechanic, not a hack at a quick lube station.

usually, lube specials are a shops method to upsell you on other work such as tires, brakes, alignment, etc. so, before you consider going to a new shop, always check out their reviews, have a mechanic friend go with you so you don't end up with unnecessary work or work that isn't performed correctly.

if you have a trusted mechanic, either bring your own oil or use his. i would just stick to mobil one as i see no benefit with motul's cheaper line that you are considering. if you run on track, the 300v line of motul may be better than mobil one.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We have filters and Oil Service Kits that include everything you need, if you just want to purchase the oil on your own, we also offer just the filter.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djantlive
i would just stick to mobil one as i see no benefit with motul's cheaper line that you are considering. if you run on track, the 300v line of motul may be better than mobil one.
I had the IMS bearing replaced recently and it seems LN engineering recommends the Motul 5w40, so I just figured I'd stick with that. I talked to the Porsche dealerships and they said they switched to Castrol 5w40.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
We have filters and Oil Service Kits that include everything you need, if you just want to purchase the oil on your own, we also offer just the filter.

And thanks for that.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bartender
Ok got ya. Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure why I didn't think of it, but I can just buy two jugs of the oil for ~$90-$100, get my mechanic to do the job and buy the right filter, and I'm looking at about $150. Filter is what, like $20?

I guess no need to risk it with some lube guy when I can get roughly the same price from my mechanic.

How is it that some mechanics get up to $225-$250 for a Porsche oil change then?
Because the dealer service department/shop charges $150/hour labor and toss in nearly $50 (or more) for oil, filter, drain plug seal ring (two in the case of my 996 Turbo), waste disposal fee, taxes, etc.

When I supply the oil I get the oil/filter service done for IIRC around $120. The last oil/filter service for the Turbo -- in which I let the dealer use its oil (approx. $5/quart, cheaper than I can buy it on the street) -- cost around $180.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default oil change

i use an indy for oil changes. mobil 1 and mahn (sp)? filters, new crush washer. $113.00. foreign car lovers with pride in their work. buy 3 changes and 4th is free.
Dan
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

In the states, Mobil 1 is about $7.00/qt (Walmart) a filter is about $10, and a crush washer about $.25. You will need 8 qts. of oil.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 PM
The Bartender
Intermediate

Does anyone have any experience with Castrol Edge? I'm not expert but just wondering how it compares.

Am I really splitting hairs here? I'm not doing any racing. Just regular city driving about 4000/5000 KM a year. All of the Porsche approved synthetic oils should be just fine, no?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

I use Castrol. I've never seen any evidence whatsoever that there is any measurable differences between brands, but the weight is important. So it follows that my experience with Castrol has been perfectly fine.

Quick Reply: Oil Change - Too Good To Be True?