Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS statistic

Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMS statistic

Last week I did an 02 Boxster S, one of my cars for resale. did not have any signs of oil leakage or fragments in the oil filter but the cam deviation was out of spec. When I got the bearing out it was definitely bad. there was axial play that did not belong. After replacement, the cam deviations for both banks were dead on 0.00 Now it runs so much smoother than before and I have more confidence that the engine is healthy.
Just another day at the office.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine came out still good, but the peace of mind is worth it.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:00 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the actual failure rates, the best number I can find is 5%?? It think I'll take the opportunity to upgrade when the clutch needs work; also to date I can't find out when the conversion actually happened between M96 and M97 engines in 05 (mine was built in Jul 05).

Last edited by fanny bay r1; 02-12-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:04 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work to the OP.

To fanny bay, LNE quotes 10% of cars in 90,000 miles may suffer failures. That is just an estimate.

The larger Porsche bearings which are unserviceable without engine tear-down started to appear in 2005 engines sold in 2006 model year cars, and also in rebuilt engines from 2005.

Sincerely,

Broken Record.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

There are no statistics based on fact that I know of, only guesses. I say this because even Porsche doesn't know (and if they did, they wouldn't tell) because some owners go to dealers, others to wreckers, some to private mechanics, some do it themselves, some replace before needed, etc. So there is no single source of failure data from which statistics can be derived.

Also any internal failure is liable to be attributed to the IMS because it has become so publicized when, in fact, there are about 2 dozen potential failure causes.

I've known of 250k mile cars with the original, others failed at less than 10k.

All moving parts fail at some point, some sooner than others, some later than others. No reason to think the IMS would be any different. Not saying it can't happen nor that it isn't expensive if it does.

My guess from reading 7 forums on 3 continents over 7 years is around 1% per car year but that is only a guess.

Both my Boxsters were IMS failure free and were very very reliable when compared to over 40 other cars I have owned (of many makes and models and places of manufacture).
Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I get pissed when I get stuck behind slow drivers. Don't they know I have a high-strung car and my IMS will explode if I can't maintain at least 6500rpm to properly lubricate it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMS statistic