Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic - removal & replace/repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:03 PM
raleigh5
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tiptronic - removal & replace/repair?

looking to repair/rebuild or replace the Tiptronic in a 2000 2.7L Boxster.

couple of questions:
1. would it be possible( and straightforward ) to replace with a Tiptronic from other Boxster model years or from other Porsche models? if so, which ones and would the tip ecu need to be replaced also?

2. is it feasible for me to remove / install the transmission in home garage? i've done engine / trans remove & install 3 or 4 times before on Isuzu suv. i didnt set any speed records..but the work was solid. i am expecting delivery of the Boxster bentley manual vany day now.

thanks for any insights.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by raleigh5
looking to repair/rebuild or replace the Tiptronic in a 2000 2.7L Boxster.

couple of questions:
1. would it be possible( and straightforward ) to replace with a Tiptronic from other Boxster model years or from other Porsche models? if so, which ones and would the tip ecu need to be replaced also?

2. is it feasible for me to remove / install the transmission in home garage? i've done engine / trans remove & install 3 or 4 times before on Isuzu suv. i didnt set any speed records..but the work was solid. i am expecting delivery of the Boxster bentley manual vany day now.

thanks for any insights.
Generally staying with the same MY as the car in question is best. Next best is staying in the same MY range, say in your case 2000 to 2002, with the 2000 being the first year the 2.7l engine (coupled with a Tip) was available and 2002 the last year before a slight MY change over occured in 2003. Now agreed the changeover not a huge revamp. But with at least 3 years to choose from...

If you elect to use a Tip from an earlier MY you run up against the possibility the Tip may not be up to the extra torque output of the 2.7l vs. the 2.5l engine. Also, the 2.5l Tip shift maps may not suit the torque curve of the 2.7l engine.

As long as you can raise the car and support it securely and with a transmission jack/lift/hoist you should be able to remove the Tip and intall it just fine.

The exhaust system has to come off and out and this is usually removed as a single assembly and requires two people to remove (and install) based on discussions with dealer techs.

Mark the halfshaft flanges so you know their orientation before you disassemble the half shafts from their mating flanges.

Be prepared to use new fasteners wherever they are called out. Of course follow proper assembly procedures and proper fastener tightening torque settings.

While you're there consider cleaning and repacking the half shaft u-joint bearings and fitting new CV boots.

If you've successfully removed and installed transmissions in other vehicles you'll be ok with the Boxster and its Tip.

As for speed: When I worked on my cars and even work on them even now, I do not try to beat any speed records. Making sure I make no mistakes and get everything back together correctly again are more important to me than raw speed. I have no one to impress.

If you want, email me your email address and I'll make PDF copies of a the shop manual that covers Tip tranny R&R and send them to you.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:56 PM
raleigh5
AutoX

"...If you want, email me your email address and I'll make PDF copies of a the shop manual that covers Tip tranny R&R and send them to you..."

Thank you for your advice and the offer to forward the pdf file. i will take you up on that IM sent.

And if anyone has any recommendations for a transmission rebuild shop in the greater sf bay area...please advice. thank you.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What happened to the Tip to require a rebuild?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by raleigh5
"...If you want, email me your email address and I'll make PDF copies of a the shop manual that covers Tip tranny R&R and send them to you..."

Thank you for your advice and the offer to forward the pdf file. i will take you up on that IM sent.

And if anyone has any recommendations for a transmission rebuild shop in the greater sf bay area...please advice. thank you.
For tranny rebuild at least give Rector Porsche in Burlingame CA a call. Pete does engine rebuilds there quite frequently and I'm sure either he or someone else can handle a tranny rebuild.

Or contact Fletcher-Jones Porsche in Fremont: I was in there a week or so back and spotted an air-cooled 911 on the lift and a manual tranny on the bench. Tech (didn't get his name) was rebuilding the unit.

Another possible source is to scope out ads in the back of Excellence mag for Porsche transmission rebuilders. Sure, you might have to ship unit to builder and back but labor costs for a rebuilder located away from high cost of living urban areas of CA could still see you with a good savings. Also, if you can get your hands on one, the mag published by PCA. Generally Porsche dealers have back issues of this mag laying around on table in dealership service department waiting room. I'm pretty sure there are transmission rebuilder ads in the mag.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 AM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Not exactly CA but http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...nsmission.aspx
Old 09-22-2009, 11:54 AM
raleigh5
AutoX

thank you mike and macster for listing those resources/ideas. had not occured to me to check the mags/journals.

i do not know what the cause of failure was. i will say right off that this car has had 4 or 5 previous owners. so that is generally not/never a good thing. so possibly 1 of the p.o's was a gear banger. but who know...maybe it was me. i knew to expect the unexpected when i purchased the car. and the price i paid reflected this. so i had 'budgeted' some for those repairs. but did not expect the trans to go out like this. the 'clunking' during downshifts went quickly downhill in a 250 mile time span. prior to that, it had been noticeable, and only occasional...but not jolting as it is now. yep, i installed a new front motor mount. and it did smoothe out the gear transitions for a few hundred miles....it felt like new really. but then...quickly downhill.
took the car to tillman's in santa rosa. they did trans fluid check/drain/refill with new fluid and filter. also read fault codes...none there. old fluid was dark and smelled burnt. it also had metallic flakes. they also mentioned the trans was 'making some noise' during their inspection. troubling though that this was about all they could tell me other than the obvious...that it wasnt right for the trans to shift so clumsily and that 'the damage' has been done and it will need rebuild. troubling because the trans went south rather quickly and apparently there would be no tell tale signs to indicate the issue to a potential buyer during a ppi routine(which i did not have done). so..lol....this is probably more info than u asked for, and still no single answer as to what caused the failure. maybe it will reveal itself when being taken apart? anyway...thank you all again for your help.

fyi: 2000 2.7L boxster w/tiptronic; purchased ~58K miles; currently ~63K miles

Last edited by raleigh5; 09-22-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: misspelt werds
Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 PM
carlosnolasco
8th Gear

I also have a question about this: Could I swap a 03 boxster base 2.7 transmission to a 04 Boxster S 3.2?
Thanks
Old 02-09-2017, 10:39 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Carlosnolasco's transmissions are TIPs.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:09 PM
sniperonhigh
Intermediate

Check out the bolt size on axle shaft drive flange, 2.7 is 8mm whereas 3.2 is 10mm. The drive flanges are a direct swap-out though, so no biggie there. Not sure why you are swapping, but I have a 2001 tip with a bad front pump that is otherwise fine - if your pump is good you could swap them out easily enough.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:55 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

He has two cars a year apart and is building the one he wants to keep. I don't mind-read, he has posted to several forums.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:22 PM
sniperonhigh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikefocke
He has two cars a year apart and is building the one he wants to keep. I don't mind-read, he has posted to several forums.
Darn, I was about to ask you for some help with lottery numbers
Old 02-12-2017, 11:01 PM
carlosnolasco
8th Gear

Thanks mikefocke to clarify it. 04 S transmission is damage, is a spyder 50th anniversary and I want to keep it. My confusion is 2.7 and 3.2 engine. Some members saying that is complicated for somebody that is not porsche mechanic or worst somebody like me that I am not mechanic. I have a friend that is a general mechanic willing to help me.

Last edited by carlosnolasco; 02-12-2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: writing error
Old 02-12-2017, 11:05 PM
carlosnolasco
8th Gear

Hey Mike are you in North Carolina? I moved recently to SC. Do you have a shop that I can visit? or could you recommend one in SC?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:08 PM
carlosnolasco
8th Gear

Hey, Macster, Could you send me the PDF for tip, please?
Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Tiptronic - removal & replace/repair?