Impressions of a first time Boxster owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Impressions of a first time Boxster owner

I've owned 6 Porsche 911 variants over the years including most recently 996 TT and 996 GT3. I'm now into my second week of ownership of an 02 Boxster S. With the possible exception of the GT3, which is simply an indescribable driver's car on the track, but not a great daily driver, I'd say that so far I'd characterize this 986 as my favorite all around Porsche so far. I'm finding that I prefer the mid engine layout to the rear in term of how stable the car feels. I can see keeping this car for a long time which isn't normal for me. I got rid of the GT3 mainly because it wasn't a great DD and it was too expensive to let sit in the garage just waiting on the occasional track day.

I've decided to sell the Jetta TDI. Although it gets great fuel mileage, it doesn't have the fun factor the 986 has, and now that the kids are getting their own cars, 2 passenger capacity is fine!
Attached Images   
Old 09-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Euro951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice comparison from a person who has actually owned all the cars compared! hahaha I have only driven a Caymen but love the mid-engined layout.... I am sure the Boxter S versions rock....
Thanks again!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I've heard the Cayman takes the Boxster experience to a higher level in terms of driveability. Of course in a warm weather climate (Florida) I'm willing to give up a bit of handling for the enjoyment of top down driving.

I'd still love to own a 951 also some day. It's just not possible to have too many cars!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Tierce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a 951 and now have the boxster S. I loved the power and torque of the 951, but the handling on the boxster is much better. Now I just need to find something with a little more cargo capacity for business use.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:27 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Mark glad you are having fun, enjoy.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:13 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

thanks for the write up...
Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 AM
ppbskis
Racer

As a turbo and Boxster owner I have to agree. If I want raw power nothing compares to the turbo. For fun driving, and the great sound when you mash the pedal the Boxster really satisfies me. I also always have to control my appetite for acceleration in the turbo where as the Boxster makes you work it through the gears to get where you want to be, so it's a little more involving for me. The other benifits are you get just about the exact same interior quality for a fraction of the cost, same seats, steering wheel, radio, everything but a couple useless gauges that one never looks at. I will always love the Boxster no matter what !
Joe

Quick Reply: Impressions of a first time Boxster owner