Fuel pump problems in 2000 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
berndl
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump problems in 2000 Boxster S

Curious if this problem is wide-spread:

I have a 2000 Boxster S that is driven sporadically - might often sit for a week between drives. Two weeks ago it would not start and was diagnosed as a fuel pump failure. We looked at the pump and the electrics were good, but the impeller had seized. We got a new pump (directly from Porsche dealer) and installed it - it then ran for a few days and yesterday again the same thing. My mechanic took out the pump and found the same condition again. I trust my mechanic and his work absolutely, and it did run well for 2 days or so, so the immediate suspicion falls onto the fuel supply.

I am located in Gainesville FL, where there has a been a rash of fuel pump failures reported recently (i.e. by the fellow that came by with the flatbed to take my boxster away, as well as by parts stores). Now it is my understanding that ethanol in fuel causes increased corrosion and loosens deposits in the tank, and since we are reportedly behind the rest of the country in ethanol introductions into our fuel supply (I'm told we average about 7%) I'd love to know if anybody else has had similar experiences. thanks in advance.

Bernd

2000 Boxster S
ex 1986 951
Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Fuel pump designed to run submerged and is cooled by/lubed to some...

Originally Posted by berndl
Curious if this problem is wide-spread:

I have a 2000 Boxster S that is driven sporadically - might often sit for a week between drives. Two weeks ago it would not start and was diagnosed as a fuel pump failure. We looked at the pump and the electrics were good, but the impeller had seized. We got a new pump (directly from Porsche dealer) and installed it - it then ran for a few days and yesterday again the same thing. My mechanic took out the pump and found the same condition again. I trust my mechanic and his work absolutely, and it did run well for 2 days or so, so the immediate suspicion falls onto the fuel supply.

I am located in Gainesville FL, where there has a been a rash of fuel pump failures reported recently (i.e. by the fellow that came by with the flatbed to take my boxster away, as well as by parts stores). Now it is my understanding that ethanol in fuel causes increased corrosion and loosens deposits in the tank, and since we are reportedly behind the rest of the country in ethanol introductions into our fuel supply (I'm told we average about 7%) I'd love to know if anybody else has had similar experiences. thanks in advance.

Bernd

2000 Boxster S
ex 1986 951
extent by the fuel in pumps, if the fuel is contaminated with excessive water which combines with ethanol and the resulting crud gets ingested by fuel pump... This can lead to marginal lubrication, overheating and impeller seizure.

If gas station storage tanks in area getting their first dose/delivery of ethanol/gas blend... Very possible fuel supply to blame.

Been running 5% (E5) up to 10% (E10) mix of ethanol/gasoline for years in various cars though... And before ethanol there was MTBE. Never a problem.

Only problem I ever had with fuel supply was when driving an old pickup with gas tank low on fuel fuel pickup sucked up some water in tank and as soon as this water hit inline paper type fuel filter fuel stopped flowing through filter like that and engine died like switch flipped. Finally spotted water droplets in see through filter housing, disconnected fuel filter and blew water/fuel out of filter. Upon reconnecting fuel line engine started right up. Kept fuel level 1/4 tank or higher almost ever since in every car I've owned. Boxster tanks though not metal and do not accumulate as much condensation as older metal tanks.

Might look into treating your car and its gas tank to a fuel cleaner or treatment that is specially designed to clean and absorb water. No specific recommendation, but I use Techron every so often, but you may want Swepco fuel treatment 502 (IIRC) or something similar. Your local Porsche dealership parts manager might be able to recommend something to you. Or perhaps someone has a more specific treatment recommendation?

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump problems in 2000 Boxster S