Sponsored by:

K&N fries another MAF

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Wildcat05
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N fries another MAF

Despite plenty of advice to the contrary, I recently decided to replace my stock air filter with K&N. It has been about 2 weeks (with 1 autocross) and now my check engine light is glowing like an amber "I told you so." I am taking the car to the shop in a couple days and will clean the sensor tonight.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the likelihood of this happening again (aside from putting in a stock filter and admitting defeat)? For example, I was thinking about briefly running a hair dryer on low setting over the filter to remove the excess oil. Has anyone experimented with this?

Any input is appreciated. I have not noticed any difference in sound or power since installing the filter.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 PM
James-man
Race Car

Hair dryer is an interesting idea.

Just try not to over-oil. I have used one K&N filter for over 10 years. I don't think any Pcar owners have shown any dyno proven benefit to K&N. Paper filters are generally preferred.

If/when I have to get a new MAF for my car, I will probably go back to paper filters. But for the time being, I don't have much to lose by taking the same risks I have taken for the last dozen years. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default If K&N (probably due to overoiling) cause of MAF problem..

Originally Posted by Wildcat05
Despite plenty of advice to the contrary, I recently decided to replace my stock air filter with K&N. It has been about 2 weeks (with 1 autocross) and now my check engine light is glowing like an amber "I told you so." I am taking the car to the shop in a couple days and will clean the sensor tonight.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the likelihood of this happening again (aside from putting in a stock filter and admitting defeat)? For example, I was thinking about briefly running a hair dryer on low setting over the filter to remove the excess oil. Has anyone experimented with this?

Any input is appreciated. I have not noticed any difference in sound or power since installing the filter.
why not just use stock filter? Easy peasy to change. And pretty good filter.

Frankly -- just changed my stock filter -- as dirty as this thing gets I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of air flow for better filtering, not that I think the stock filter is restrictive enough to have any impact on engine output.

Years ago when I used K&N on my motorcycle the trick was to use little oil and apply it several times with filter left sitting in various positions to help oil disperse.

IOWs, you have to sneak up on the proper amount of oil, unless you're gifted with ability to apply the correct amount once.

If filter overoiled, just clean it and let it dry then reoil with less oil the next time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

I have several K&Ns for my S. I rotate them into service allowing plenty of time in between for the initially moderate oiling to permeate fully. A systematic an even application helps the overall outcome. Never any problems.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Wildcat05
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I will probably go back to a stock filter. Just picked up MAF sensor cleaner and a Torx bit so hoping it does the trick.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:11 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Pick up an Amsoil or other oil-less aftermarket filter, problem solved.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:01 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Don't even bother cleaning it. It's done. Get a new one.

www.autohausaz.com
Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Wildcat05
Intermediate

Took it to the shop and confirmed that it was probably the MAF. Check engine light has not come back on in nealry a week, but I expect it will be back anytime.

Quick Reply: K&N fries another MAF