Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has the highest mileage on orig engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:12 AM
eiky09
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has the highest mileage on orig engine?

Just curious if we have any Boxster's surviving the 100k mark with the original engine. What yr and model.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

This lady comes into my job with her Boxster,99' w/ 160k and the only issue she had was a bad cat all 160k.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:47 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ive seen a few in the 150+ range
Old 02-16-2007, 04:18 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quite a few on PPBB @ 100k+ and even 150k+

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
ive seen a few in the 150+ range
... and several of those even track them regularly.

Properly maintained, these are durable cars.

Badly maintained, poof.

What a surprise. Keep in mind the cylinder walls are Nikasil coated, like Audis (different process, however). this means that properly lubricated and maintained, and barring major failure, they should out-last you and me.

That of course is but one aspect of longevity. but I doubt the motor is the weak link.

Grant
Old 02-16-2007, 05:47 PM
eiky09
Cruisin'

Im new to the Boxster area and since having a 74 911 and an 87 Carrera I feel a little skeptical buying a Boxster. 100k plus meant nothing to an older 911 and I would have never dreamt my past cars would have catastrophic engine failure. I’ve spent several weeks researching and reading everyone’s posts and it seems few and far between to find a Boxster here with high mileage or with the original engine. Am I out of line here or are all these posts about engine failure and replacement just making me paranoid? I couldn’t afford to spend $10k out of nowhere for a new engine especially for a car that cost more than older 911s. Perhaps I should stick with older 911s?
Old 02-16-2007, 06:43 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Well you can't re-build an aircooled for the price of a new crate motor M96 from Porsche. I know the 2.7s are about six grand and the 2.5s are mid 5s. they come complete with alternater, water pump et al ready to install. 6 hours should do an R&R at a good Porsche Shop( not dealer)

It would be almost 15K+ to rebuild an aicooled six.

Look for 2.7 or a '97,'98 2.5 with about 40K and you should be OK.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the problem with finding high mileage examples right now is they're still relatively new, and most of them are not driven as the "main" car. (..although they could / should be!) I've certainly seen / heard of early cars making it into the century mark w/o major problems. Not a lot, but they're there. Given a little more time I would expect to hear a lot more about high milage Boxsters.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default My '02 Boxster 5-speed has over 165,000 miles. Gets oil/filter changes every...

Originally Posted by eiky09
Just curious if we have any Boxster's surviving the 100k mark with the original engine. What yr and model.
5000 miles -- which sometimes means I change the oil, leave the house on a road trip and when I get back a week or so later do another oil/filter change! cause I've racked up almost 5000 miles of driving -- and other filters at regularly scheduled intervals, or a bit more frequent than that if I feel the driving conditions warrant it. (Like driving miles and miles through blowing dust in the southwest.)

In this 165,000+ miles, the OAS failed once (at 80,000 miles), one O2 sensor (90,000 miles), motor mount (in the last 40,000 miles or so) and in an attempt to deal with some DTCs I replaced the MAF (the oil filler tube cap proved to be the culprit!) and more recently another 02 sensor when it appears the real fault lies with the converter. I'm holding off replacing the converter.

60,000+ miles on pads, 120K miles on original rotors, then replaced both pads/rotors. Tech tells me the pads are due to be replaced but the warning light's not on so I'm waiting.

Original clutch.

Take good care of your Boxster and it will take good care of you!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:47 AM
cbracer
Intermediate

The crate engine prices *just* went up over $2000.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:54 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Very impressive Macster.....
What MY and Model are you driving????

Originally Posted by Macster
5000 miles -- which sometimes means I change the oil, leave the house on a road trip and when I get back a week or so later do another oil/filter change! cause I've racked up almost 5000 miles of driving -- and other filters at regularly scheduled intervals, or a bit more frequent than that if I feel the driving conditions warrant it. (Like driving miles and miles through blowing dust in the southwest.)

In this 165,000+ miles, the OAS failed once (at 80,000 miles), one O2 sensor (90,000 miles), motor mount (in the last 40,000 miles or so) and in an attempt to deal with some DTCs I replaced the MAF (the oil filler tube cap proved to be the culprit!) and more recently another 02 sensor when it appears the real fault lies with the converter. I'm holding off replacing the converter.

60,000+ miles on pads, 120K miles on original rotors, then replaced both pads/rotors. Tech tells me the pads are due to be replaced but the warning light's not on so I'm waiting.

Original clutch.

Take good care of your Boxster and it will take good care of you!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:37 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing about the internet and engine failures is when your engine has problems or a failure what do you do? Log onto the internet and compain. You didn't log on in the 3 years before that when the car was perfect tho. If you have no failures do you ever log on? If a tree falls in the forrest and nobody is there to hear it does it make a sound?

Log onto your auto trader from your local area and search boxster and see what the mileage is of the cars. You will likely find most of them with low miles only because they are typically a weekend type of car not a daily driver as for many of us is the case. I only put 5k miles on mine a year and thats trying to drive it as much as I can.

In my area alone I found two boxsters currently for sale with 135k and 145k on them still in what appears to be great shape with neither reporting replacement engines. My buddy is a parts manager at our local Porsche dealer and he says there are a few with over 200k each on them.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:31 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eiky09
Im new to the Boxster area and since having a 74 911 and an 87 Carrera I feel a little skeptical buying a Boxster. 100k plus meant nothing to an older 911 and I would have never dreamt my past cars would have catastrophic engine failure.
There are plenty of stories of old 911s with rebuilt engines that are way under 100K miles. The stories here about Boxsters going deep into the hundreds are encouraging and, as Doug alluded to, these cars with watercooled engines are in their infancy, 996 and 997 included. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that one can pick up an old 911 and circle the globe a couple of times without dropping some bucks on it.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default 2002 Boxster 2.7l with 5-speed manual. Bought new 19th Jan. 2002.

Originally Posted by rbennett
Very impressive Macster.....
What MY and Model are you driving????
Driven almost every day since...

Forgot: RMS at 20,000 miles (iirc) under warranty and left rear wheel bearing around 80,000 miles.

Oh, and brake warning light flickered on the other day, but then went off again. New pads/rotors are getting closer to being needed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:51 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very impressive Macster ! .....and encouraging to see.

One thing you said brings up a question for me though, and this is for anyone here, not just Macster...assuming you are using the recommended Mobil 1 or Syntec.....

Is there really any need to change the Mobil 1 oil every 5000 miles ??? I believe that the recommended interval is 15k. Can't argue with Macster's results, for sure, but changing out the synthetic oil every 5K seems like way overkill to me. I would think that this oil is still absolutely safe even @ 2x that mileage. Also, at that rate of change, what advantage is there to even using the synthetic ? Comments?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

15k or once a year, according to "the book". I do twice a year, once in Spring and once in Fall...more to have an experienced eye look at my car before winter and before summer. Of course, my car is a daily driver that will likely see 12-15k a year in all kinds of weather, etc. If you drive it only semi-regularly, I would think once a year would be fine. I wouldn't dream of using anything but synthetic in newer cars.

Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Who has the highest mileage on orig engine?