Replacement top for 97-02 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:05 AM
scapie4
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement top for 97-02 Boxster

Hello,

Want to replace the convertible top of my 02 Boxster with an after-market one with glass. I saw a few ones on the internet but I sm puzzled which one to choose. Choices are:

GAHH
Robbins
BAS

Can you please recommend which one shall I choose. Concerned on durability (dryness), looks and also the defrost lines on the rear window being too visible/ yellowish. Would also welcome other suggestions.

Your help is needed.

Thomas
Old 10-23-2007, 02:12 PM
HBacura
Racer

I've heard of some good reviews about the GAHH top from 986forum.com, but I haven't heard anything about the other two.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM
legend motorsports
Intermediate

We've installed a few of the GAHH tops with glass windows on early Boxsters, and found them to be of high quality. just as important as the top it's self, is the quality of the installer. Also unlike Porsche Genuine tops, there will be some attaching pieces that will need to be reused. These are often overlooked and thrown out by less experienced installers.
Also, the tops do not come with the defogger harness. that must be ordered separately.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Nathaniel
Track Day

I am in the process of looking around for a new top as well. Both Porsche mechanics that I have spoken to about it say that replacing the vinyl window with the glass one makes it a pain in the *** to access the engine later on. I guess it does not fold/ lift up propperly.

Let me reiterate that I have no experience with the glass windows, this is just what I have been told. If anyone else has any input, it would be appreciated.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:14 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an almost new top on the 99' car that I'm about to dismantle. PM if you're interested....
https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/386194-stripping-boxster-lots-of-parts-available.html
Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

I will have a like-new conv-top for an 02 that is morphing after Christmas.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
scapie4
4th Gear

Christian,

What do you mean by morphing?

Thomas
Old 10-24-2007, 05:13 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

and is the interior grey? i am looking for grey door panels with speakers (factory)
Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Thomas,

quietly becoming "outlaw" type car. Lots of new bits, suspension, LWFW, ECU, etc. pulling out bolt in cage and installing welded that will conform to FG roof which will negate the need for the folding top. With current engine not competitive in modified class but with a few hp.........
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Christian,
Any idea how much you would like for the top? I have a friend that needs one for an "S"

Thanks,
Tim
Old 01-08-2008, 03:02 AM
scapie4
4th Gear

Tim,

I also recently replaced my 02 Boxster S blue top with plastic window. So the original is up for sale. Asking $750 (superb condition and always taken care with Raggtopp products) plus shipping. Let me know.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Tierce
Pro

how hard is it to replace the top yourself?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 PM
mytoy986
Advanced

I wouldn't try it if you've never done one before. especailly the aftermarket ones. The can be a real bitch to do. And yes the tops with glass replacment do make it tough to access the engine.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 AM
1schoir
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tierce
how hard is it to replace the top yourself?
If you want to get a good idea as to what it takes to replace a top yourself, go to this link at Mike Focke's Boxster Pages: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy

It guides you step by step, with lots of photos and is not an insurmountable job.

You do need a lot of patience and some warm weather (to make the top more pliable and easier to stretch) and just a few tools.

It's a very rewarding job, especially if your current top looks ratty or has a yellowed or torn rear window.

Regards, 1schoir (Maurice).
Old 01-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Tierce
Pro

Originally Posted by 1schoir
If you want to get a good idea as to what it takes to replace a top yourself, go to this link at Mike Focke's Boxster Pages: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy

It guides you step by step, with lots of photos and is not an insurmountable job.

You do need a lot of patience and some warm weather (to make the top more pliable and easier to stretch) and just a few tools.

It's a very rewarding job, especially if your current top looks ratty or has a yellowed or torn rear window.

Regards, 1schoir (Maurice).
Thanks for the info. It looks like a lot of work. Fortunately, this isn't something that needs to be done for my car right now. Mine is still in really good condition, but I plan on keeping the car as long as possible, and will have to face it eventually, i'm afraid.

But I'll put it off as long as possible for certain.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Replacement top for 97-02 Boxster