Sponsored by:

DIY Repair / maintenance Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:14 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Repair / maintenance Boxster S

I've been looking at the Boxster S- and it certainly looks good! Drove a regular Boxster a few days ago and was pretty blown away by the handling and steering. Only thing it lacked was more HP and low down torque , which it appears the "S" has.
I do most of my own work on my cars. A mid-engine is a new one on me (and pretty cool, I'll have to say). When I test drove the car I never laid eyes on the engine- a first! I've done some research, and it looks like you can change the plugs from the wheel wells, oil change not too bad. How about working on in general? Can you do a decent amount from the top? I read that you can move up the seats and there is an access panel- how good is access? Or are these cars pretty rough to work on?
I've read up on the coolant tank issue and saw it's like a $700+ repair. Is is that difficult to R&R?
For example- say the water pump needs replaced? A nightmare? Go to a shop?
Anyway- looking for insight , experience + tips from those that have worked on their Boxsters themselves.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fundamentally, repair and maintenance is the same as on other cars, except that sometimes you'll have to remove stuff to get proper access. Fortunately, no special steps required for oil changes, and brake pads are easy to replace because the caliper doesn't have to be moved out of the way.

If you're pretty serious about the Boxster but worried about DIY, I recommend buying the Bentley Boxster repair manual. It's excellent and has detailed descriptions and photos. That way you can see what's involved with a repair and determine if it's too much of a PITA.

Also, if you hear about big repair bills, a lot of that may be from the parts cost. Porsche parts can sometimes be ridiculously expensive. The maintenance items (brake pads & rotors, oil filters, etc) aren't bad though.

I don't know what kind of car background you come from, but I also wouldn't worry too much about DIY because the Boxster S' aren't that old and are pretty reliable. You hopefully wouldn't have to do more than oil changes, tires, and pads. I used to have an air cooled 911, and while it was reliable in getting from point A to point B, there were always little projects to work on because the car was older. Plus, the car also needed valve adjustments every 15K miles.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good DIY section here:
http://www.theschillings.com/
Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably get a lower priced/older one. Granted, a 2000 "S" is only seven years old, usually when getting a used car there is a little work to be done. If I don't get records that show everything up to date, I always replaced fluids, check/replace belts + hoses, maybe a suspension part or two will need replaced.
Glad to hear that they seem pretty reliable. I prefer driving/polishing to mechanical work ( I enjoy mechanical work, but not when it's a total PITA).
I just wanted to make sure that this car is not a "nightmare" to service, with it's very foreign to me mid engine design.
The shop manual advice is good, I think I will pick one up.
One more- while I've got you guys... how about belts and hoses? Straight forward to R&R?
Even if the car is a little harder to service from what I am used to (regular front engine/ I've worked on lots of Jags and GM products) I think it will be worth it.

Quick Reply: DIY Repair / maintenance Boxster S