Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering Boxster S purchase, help me decide...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 11:55 PM
Mark

Post considering Boxster S purchase, help me decide...

Currently I have an Audi S4 and a 996C4 and I am getting rid of the C4 for various reasons, none of them b/c of the car, really. Anyway, I have had a Boxster S loaned to me for about a week, and I'll put it this way, I've only driven my other cars two or three times. The s is just SO fun. It doesn't have near the performance of the C4, but it makes up for it in spades (I think) by it's convertible nature.
SO, I'm in major decision mode and would like input from anyone kind enough to pass it out. Anyone have any problems with theirs, like the all-too-common 2.5L/2.7L engine replacements or other things that shouldn't happen on such a car? What about maintenece costs? The C4 is pretty pricey, are Box S's better? Any othe rmajor point sI should look at are appreciated. Thanks.
Mark
Old 07-10-2001, 12:29 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Mark

A rambling post in answer to your post.

we just dropped our boxster off at the dealer tonight, because the airbag light has been illuminated for a week. evidently this is not a rare occurence on the 986 and 996. However, that's the first problem we've had in two years of ownership. No wait, we had a radio button fall off the third week of ownership.
Otherwqise it's been bulletproof. (Although with only 7,000 miles, it hasn't had a lot of bullets fired at it.)

the car is my wife's and kids, but I find myself taking the keys to it a lot too. Like you said it's so much fun to drive.

I had wanted to get the S, but the dealer said it was still a year away at the time. I figured it was theirs, and they didn't need the extra performance.

It's the 2.5L with Tiptronic. IMHO, it feels underpowered for a Porsche. Everything else is pure Porsche -- It handles wonderfully, the brakes are phenominal, and it really turns heads. Dark blue/dark blue/dark blue looks great. In fact, we get more compliments on the 986 than on the 993s. It seems to make people happy just looking at it.

So here's another option to consider. Keep the C4 for performance, buy the Boxster S for fun, and sell the Audi instead.

Carpe Diem.
Old 07-10-2001, 08:55 AM
Don UK
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Buy one. Buy one. Buy one. (The 'S' of course!)

I've had mine for a month and I can't get over what a great car it is. Sure, it isn't as powerful as some. (My TVR for instance) but the handling provides all the entertainment I need.

You won't regret it....
Old 07-10-2001, 12:36 PM
Mark

Thanks for the help guys. I had the airbag light on the 996 C2 I had for a short time. I think the S is closer to the C2 than the C4 b/c of it's raw handling. And I can put a big chunk of change in the bank between the price of the S and C4, which is very nice.

Quick Reply: considering Boxster S purchase, help me decide...