Tiptronic Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 11:42 PM
Nik
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tiptronic Questions

Hi All,

I just took delivery of my 2001 Boxster S. I can't describe how thrilled I am. It is my first Porsche and it is living up to all of my expectations. I do have a couple of questions that, hopefully, some of you can answer regarding the Tiptronic Transmission.

1.) The transmission automatically upshifts at 6300 RPM when in first gear. It upshifts at about 6800 RPM in second. It shifts at redline above 2nd gear. Is this normal? I don't fully understand why Porsche would limit the engine in the low gears.

2.) When coming to a full stop, the transmission never downshifts to 1st gear. It always downshifts to 2nd. I have to manually downshift to 1st. Is this normal?

3.) I have read in "Excellence" magazine of a company that offers a reprogrammed chip for the Tiptronic. It claims to reduce shift time by 50%. Does anyone have any experience with this type of modification? Will it solve the first two issues also? Will it impact warranty and/or reliability?

Any input would be most appreciated!

Best Regards,

Nik
Old 06-20-2001, 11:50 PM
RobertG
Racer

1) its not shifting at every redline point in every gear because what its really doing is shifting at the RPM where peak HP lies. If you shift at redline in some gears your either not shifting at optimal peak HP or in the next highest gear you would be shifting at a point too low to provide the most excelleration. I hope this makes sense.
2) Not sure, are you in Manual mode or another mode?
3) Ive never heard of this company. Whats the name? Ive driven a Boxster S tip on the track and I am amazed at how competitive it is on the track. Its alot easier to drive.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:05 AM
Nik
2nd Gear

Talking

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the fast reply. I understand your response to my first question and it makes perfect sense. I am in manual mode when it stops downshifting at 2nd. For instance, I'll be coming to a traffic light. When I come to a full stop, the tiptronic will downshift to 2nd but not to first, even though the car is fully stopped. I have to downshift to first. Not that I mind, I just want to know if it is normal. I agree with you regarding how easy and competitive the car is. Even though the 6 speed is theoretically faster, it wouldn't be with me doing the shifting using a clutch. Moreover, traffic is crazy in Orange County and the advantages of the Tiptronic in traffic far outweigh the theoretical penalty.

Best Regards,

Nik
Old 06-21-2001, 09:31 AM
Chad in NH
Intermediate

Hi Nik, welcome to the board and congrats on your purchase!

With regard to the transmission starting out in 2nd, yes it's completely normal. The Tiptronic trans is programmed to default to starting in second gear. It's my understanding this was done for two reasons.

First up is emissions. By starting in second you get a more favorable mix of gases from the tailpipe. First gear being meant for hard starts and quick acceleration the engine is not exactly performing in its most "eco-friendly" mode when in first gear as the mapping is designed for power efficiency and not emissions efficiency.

Second reason is that in "normal" driving there's little need to accelerate away quickly from a standstill, and the short gearing of first makes it unlikely you'll need to downshift to it while moving. Hence, starting in second is more sensible as it allows the car to accelerate away without having to upshift as soon.

Standard disclaimer applies, I'm no engineer so I probably don't know what I'm talking about and I'm way off base, but that's my understanding of it.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:35 PM
Dave Collins
1st Gear

I have a 98 tip and am glad that I made the choice to go with this

I have never really paid any attention to the rpm's at shifting point. I normally shift at about 4k on all gears.

No, the tiptronic will never go into 1st gear and this has been the case since I got the first tiptronic in 96. I don't know about what other people think, but I don't think it is healthy to shift down into first while the car is still moving. I may be wrong, just my opinion.

As for the aftermarket product that will reduce shift time by 50%, do you really think this is necessary? I think that when shifting gears, it is done extremely smoothly and very quick. I don't think that I would want to change the standard stock. If you do introduce someting foriegn to the car, I have a feeling that the warranty could be voided - best check with the dealership first.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Questions