Sponsored by:

Winter driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 09:09 AM
ScottL_13
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter driving?

I am thinking of purchasing a boxter to complement my S4. Actually, I'm just tired to getting my butt whipped by all the boxters at autocross! Anyhow, I'll need to drive the car occasionally in the snow, with snow tires of course. How does the car handle in the snow? Would any of you not recommend driving in the snow? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:03 PM
Chad in NH
Intermediate

Scott,

According to others, the Boxster does quite well in the snow on the appropriate tires. A lot of owners get the hardtop and snow tires and drive year round with no problems. Assuming you're going to do that, I'd recommend PSM as a worthwhile option. That being said, even the early cars are reportedly good in light snow.

Personally, I live in New England and my car is lowered. Even with snow tires I don't think it's up to dealing with the snowfall we get here. Handling is one thing, plowing through 3 foot drifts is another.

Chad
Old 07-16-2001, 07:56 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Cool

Guys,
Here in Switzerland all the Boxsters go home to bed in winter. Despite rumours I do not advise using the Boxster in winter. Up to each owner of course and if you do, you must used the appropriuate (I use the word approved) winter tyres and keep the width to a minimum. No wider than 225 on the rear and 205 on the front but these are too wide really for a RWD auto in winter.
Stick to the S4 in winter. If you want a Porsche to safely drive in winter the C4 is the only choice,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-17-2001, 03:43 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
PCNA would love to sell you a Cayenne to go with the boxster. Then you can drive a Porsche all year long.

We have a '99 boxster and don't use it much in the winter months, (although last winter wasn't a typical Chicago winter, so it saw more action).

Take Adrian's advice -- use the Audi.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:54 PM
LouisE
AutoX

With winter tires the Boxster is fine. I wouldn't go out in a blizzard but if you are out & around and get caught, no problem.

Quick Reply: Winter driving?