Sponsored by:

Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 02:01 AM
argarre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Supercharger?

Does anyone have a boxster that they have added the turbo performance center supercharger. If so, tell me about it (pros/cons). Also, did the boxster engine go up to 2.7 liters in 2000 or 2001??????
Also when the normal boxster gained an additional .2 liters of displacement did the boxster S gain .2 liters to go up to 3.6?????

thanks
Arthur Garretson
86 951
Old 06-12-2001, 11:57 AM
Chad in NH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arthur,

I don't personally have a supercharger on my Boxster, but I've considered it and have spoken to people that have had it installed.

They universally report huge jumps in performance, with the 2.5 able to break traction easily at low speeds. This would give you the ability to throttle steer the car, as well as win stoplight races (if that's your thing).

The chassis can definitely handle the extra power as the handling almost begs for more horses.

The comments about the quality of the kit from TPC are generally good, with some complaints by people who bought early versions. What problems there were have reportedly been fixed in later iterations.

The only downside I'm aware of is possible reliability issues for the engine. I've heard from those who have needed engine replacement within 7,000 miles of installation. Conversely, I've heard from others who have done more than 12,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. Since the Boxster is still relatively new, and therefor so is the kit, it's tough to draw any conclusions yet.

The kit only runs at about 4.5 pounds of boost, theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. Of course the engine wasn't designed with boost in mind, so you're taking a chance. My own mechanic recommended against it until there is more data.

I haven't spoken to anyone who has installed it on a 2.7 or on an S yet, so no info there.

Finally, yes, the base Boxster got a displacement increase from 2.5 to 2.7 liters in MY2000. The power numbers went from 201 hp to 217, with torque going from 181 to 192 lb-ft. The S has always been 3.2 liters.

Chad

Quick Reply: Supercharger?